My roosters injured a hawk what do I do?

Pics

145chuckens

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2024
A hawk attacked my chickens. A white splash mix. Anyway my roosters and a couple of my hens teamed up on it and attacked it. I didn't think they could do that. I just looked outside and saw a bunch of flapping and heard a lot of squawking. And when I got to the pen the hawk was on the ground and the chickens were attacking it.
I'm assuming that the hawk came down and attacked the white splash hen and then the other chickens came in to rescue her. Anyway now the hawk is badly injured lay in my chicken run near the coop
I really don't think it will make it. What do I do with it? Do I try to pick it up and put it in the woods and just let nature take its course? Do I get someone to put it out of its misery? It's illegal to kill them but this one's just laying there suffering. Do I need to call someone?

A hawk attacked my chickens. A white splash mix. Anyway my roosters and a couple of my hens teamed up on it and attacked it. I didn't think they could do that. I just looked outside and saw a bunch of flapping and heard a lot of squawking. And when I got to the pen the hawk was on the ground and the chickens were attacking it.
I'm assuming that the hawk came down and attacked the white splash hen and then the other chickens came in to rescue her. Anyway now the hawk is badly injured lay in my chicken run near the coop
I really don't think it will make it. What do I do with it? Do I try to pick it up and put it in the woods and just let nature take its course? Do I get someone to put it out of its misery? It's illegal to kill them but this one's just laying there suffering. Do I need to call someone?
G
Ok what do I tell them? I mean it's really obvious to me that the hawk was attacked by chickens but what if they think that I did it? I'm sure that if they looked at it they could see that it's injuries were caused by the chickens. I don't know maybe I'm just worrying too much. I never expected this to happen.
Hopefully the hawk is just gone now. Frankly, I wouldn't make the call. Tell your chickens I am very proud of them for the defeat.

Ok what do I tell them? I mean it's really obvious to me that the hawk was attacked by chickens but what if they think that I did it? I'm sure that if they looked at it they could see that it's injuries were caused by the chickens. I don't know maybe I'm just worrying too much. I never expected this to happen.
Tell them a hawk attacked your livestock amd the livestock fought back.

Do I spray it on the chickens or just on the ground?
Get it on the chickens skin.
Under the feathers around vent, neck, belly, and under wings.
Spraying the ground would be pointless, but spraying the coop walls, roosts, floor might be good. Especially drench all the cracks and crevices.

Impressive chickens!
Your birds likely do have mites now, and in the USA there's permethrin spray, permethrin dust, or spinosad spray. All work fine, your local feed/ farm store should have the permethrin. In mild weather the spray is least expensive and easiest to use.
That hawk was likely debilitated because of it's mite overload, contributing to it's hunting failure. Your birds definitely won that round! Just get the permethrin and treat them, and spray the inside of the coop.
Mary

Last edited:
For what ever reason people have over the years become used to using chemicals and poisons and all sorts of horrible things that they were never supposed to be around. It's a habit that people really should try to break. In truth all chemical pesticides will cause health problems you probably won't just drop dead from them. But in time sadly they will cause problems you just probably won't be able to say exactly what it was that caused the health issue. And that's how they are still currently able to sell these products and claim them to be safe.
Over the years I've seen many products that where supposedly perfectly safe and everyone used them. Only to see years later that they found the product wasn't safe and had caused all sorts of horrible problems. Then they would come out with a new product that everyone said actually really was safe this time and is so much better than that poisonous thing that they used to use. But eventually after time it to was proven to cause severe problems. And it all just keeps repeating itself. 🙄 I keep wondering when people will catch on...probably never. 🤷 I feel bad for them really.

Just so you guys know everyone here on this site is awesome. And I respect all your opinions 👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom