My roosters injured a hawk what do I do?

Pics
Rhode Island Reds have black tails.
Cinnamon Queen probably has a white tail.

I find that's usually the fastest way to distinguish the two.
Probably a rode island red. Or maybe a mix? She looks like a rode island red but she doesn't act like one. She's a lot more calm and friendly than a RIR or maybe I'm just lucky enough to have a friendly RIR. She's also very dark red.

Probably a rode island red. Or maybe a mix? She looks like a rode island red but she doesn't act like one. She's a lot more calm and friendly than a RIR or maybe I'm just lucky enough to have a friendly RIR.
She could be a Rhode Island Red, or she could be a mix. There may not be any way to tell for sure. But regardless of what she really is, it sounds like she is a good fit for your flock :)

She's also very dark red.

That makes it more likely that she actually is a Rhode Island Red. Rhode Island Reds are supposed to be a darker red than most other "red" chickens. The ones in a chicken show can be so dark they look almost black. The ones bought from hatcheries are selected to be good layers with less focus on the color, so they are usually lighter than that, but they still tend to be a bit darker than most of the other red chicken breeds. For example, New Hampshires are lighter than Rhode Island Reds, even though both of them are red breeds with black tails.

Yay for your chickens to the rescue!!! Great story. I use a product called Saturday Lime - it's a fine powder that I spread in their coop area and it's great also for flies and ants etc. Bugs hate it. My chickens never have mites.

My rooster Rocky killed a hawk and my uncle just told them Rocky killed it when it was attacking my livestock. They were pretty understanding, I have heard stories of flocks teaming up to take down threats, and one story I saw said a flock of mean chickens beat up the owl that killed and took off with their friend.

Last edited:
A hawk attacked my chickens. A white splash mix. Anyway my roosters and a couple of my hens teamed up on it and attacked it. I didn't think they could do that. I just looked outside and saw a bunch of flapping and heard a lot of squawking. And when I got to the pen the hawk was on the ground and the chickens were attacking it.
I'm assuming that the hawk came down and attacked the white splash hen and then the other chickens came in to rescue her. Anyway now the hawk is badly injured lay in my chicken run near the coop
I really don't think it will make it. What do I do with it? Do I try to pick it up and put it in the woods and just let nature take its course? Do I get someone to put it out of its misery? It's illegal to kill them but this one's just laying there suffering. Do I need to call someone?
Did the hawk survive? You should have called your state wildlife ranger..

Did the hawk survive? You should have called your state wildlife ranger..
Cool story, I think about that a lot. We're on 5 acres and a neighbor's dog killed our female Guinea fowl. We've had 3 bear attacks, so now the coop's electrified. We can't seem to find a female Guinea and we don't want 15 of them, lol.

Hooray for your chickens! I had an EE rooster that killed a red tail hawk that was slightly smaller than him. Unfortunately, he was no match for a raccoon.

How did you fare with the mites? They are awful this spring.

Back
Top Bottom