"Hawk vs Silkie", Round one goes to Roo Roo!

BubbaMcKayHee

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
The following story is true. The names may need to be changed later to protect the innocent, but mostly the embarrassed!

I came home from work yesterday and as usual headed out back to let my silkies out of their run. I have 9 hens and 1 rooster, "Roo Roo", and they love to scratch around in the yard for a little while before dark. As I approached the covered run, I noticed a little commotion on the far side. Somehow a Sparrow Hawk had gotten in and couldn't find his way out. The silkies were all fairly calm albeit at the opposite side of the pen from him. I entered and saw that everyone was accounted for. Apparently the silkies had been a little too big for him to handle. I decided I had better apprehend the intruder and get him out of there as quickly as possible. As I'm chasing this hawk around the pen, my lone silkie rooster, Roo Roo, joins in the chase. He attacks the hapless sparrow hawk and basically knocks him unconscious! The sparrow hawk who is laying on his back not moving proves to be much easier for me to catch!

Needless to say after losing two silkies to hawks back in the fall, Roo Roo and I both felt a sense of vindication!

Go Roo Roo
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom