Hawk? what to do?

What I do is scatter a ton of obtacles like chairs and kiddy pools in their coop area. It has worked great for a long time. If you are really worried, you can buy netting and put it over the whole run. I read somewhere that if you put 2 cd's or dvd's somewhere the hawk can see it, it will think they are eyes and they'll get scared and fly away.

I have the same problem. Except i have two hawks.
barnie.gif
I just go outside when the hens are calling and clap and wave and yell.

I saw a neat idea the other day on here. You basically get really strong fishing line and run it in lines over your coup area. The idea is that hawks and other birds of prey need a long "swooping" area to get the birds and will get stopped by the line. You can hang tinsle or such over it, and its really cheap to do.

I to have had this problem. I live on the Yadkin river here in north Carolina and It is illegal to kill birds of prey so a simple solution is to put some chicken wire over the top of the coup it also keeps out other little critters like raccoons possums and other pesky little critters one other thing is simple mother natures mocking bird the things are fearless they will attack hawks but wont bother the chickens any way like a bird house or a bird feeder always keeps mocking birds around.

I am moving to an area that has a huge open field. I want my chickens to free-range several times a week but am so afraid of hawks. Where I currently live has so many trees I never have had a problem with hawks. The field is too big to even think about covering with wire. Will scare crows help?

I have 6 - 10 different breeds of Hawks flying around.
I have 8 6 week old chicks and a Mama that I keep in a special area enclosed by bird netting. The other day one snuck out and disappeared... We know what happened to her. It really sucks because I want the youngin's to go out with Mama in the yard and forage... No go until they get much much bigger.

Back
Top Bottom