Hawk with no fear of humans

poultrykeeper08

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Agawam , Ma
i was out around my barn area and noticed non of my pheasants or pigeons were coming out into the coop so then i hapened to look up and there was a hawk starring at me / So i waved my hands and was yelling and it didnt fase it !

Then my chickens came our of the barn and were running around and they cuaght his eye so he flew from my coop to my barn roof i began again screaming yelling and nothing happened

SO i turned the whose on and sprayed the dahm thing . Its a very cold day around here . Will it get sick ??

Some may get mad that a sprayed it but when i did verything else that i could to get it to go away besides throwing a stick or rock at it i think i did the better of the two .

Do you guys think its was sick or somthing to not be afraid of me at at all . It was 4 feet from my head when i was first yelling at t and it just stared at me like saying to him self " wat the heck is he doing "

As far as spraying him with water - you were just protecting your flock & I am sure he will recover.

But I didn't come here to tell you that.....

Reading your post I could not help but get the following imagery....

Hawk goes back to nest & posts on hawk forum....
"Human with no fear of Hawks" and relates similar tale....
roll.png

Great story it was either sick or someones pet that escaped. You have to have a special permit to keep them as pets (Falconry) or be a wildlife rehabilitator (they call it imprinting) comfortable with humans or relates to humans as a source of food. Not good if you have poultry. Most likley a Red- Tailed hawk. In any case spraying it with water was your most imediate best option. Throw rocks if they hit the barn roof they make noise. Set off fireworks that will drive it away. The hawk if not sick just needs to be chased by humans a few times it will soon learn to hang with its own peeps. I hope! I once had a Red tail hunting rats on a regular basis around a chicken pen I had in Texas. I saw him catch a few even when my chickens were out. That does not mean you can trust him. Have a couple of fire crackers by the back door, if you seem him again set em off. good luck

Im going to get some fire crackers . This guy was huge and it was a red tail . Well i hope he dont thiink im going to be feeding him !

It was so wierd how he just starred at me .

I seen him again . Sitting on my nieghbors shed roof while i was cleaning my goose barn .

I had heard that even harassing hawks was a federal crime. I am not saying that using water, firecrackers, or a paintball gun is wrong, just that I believe it is illegal.
Maybe the law can be changed, but it won't be easy. People who have never seen a hawk or chicken make up the rules.\\

I dont get why they are so protected around here they are so abundant . I live right behind a highway and there are always dead ones that got hit and flew over the fence and then that attracks the foxes and cyotes . They are every where . I see at least 15-20 a day flyinf over or when im driving some were . they are like crows . Can you kill crows or are those protected too?

I think you shouldnt be allowed to go out and hunt them but if they are hurting ur pets/livestock then you should be able to shoot them . I feel that poisoning them is not a good thing to do at all it takes along time to kill the birds and it harms other things with it . But shooting them should be fine .

its against the law to shoot any animal unless you have a license and its hunting season,,, that said, its legal to shoot MOST animals if they are after your livestock,, except protected or endangered species ,, which include hawks.
on the other hand,, i dont care what it is, animal,bird,human,, if it messes with my birds, i WILL shoot, and its is documented lol
wink.png

Hi all...i'm new here, have 21 white leghorns and 10 new hampshire reds...my birds have a large run, closed in with deer fencing, no top netting...their out from dawn to dusk, closed in the coop at night..i have red tails that are always on the prowl, circling above...my birds are pretty good at spotting the hawks and take cover under evergreen trees in there run. I have a family of crows i like having around my place and they know me. ( i feed them meat/poultry scraps)They gang up and harass the redtails when they see them,making them move on and the crows never bother my chickens or mess with my garden.The crows also alert the chickens of danger with their calls and crys.. I wouldn't shoot at crows, they work with me to protect my chickens and the chickens don't fear the crows...I know alot of farmers have problems with crows and do shoot them. Whatever works for each, i guess i'm lucky as i see them as a benifit and comrades to my chickens...

Back
Top Bottom