Hawk!!

FunnyFarmMomma

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
Yesterday afternoon my 12 year old came running in the house crying and said that a hawk had one of his chicks. He was outside with them while they were free ranging. When he tried to scare the hawk away, it just flew up in a tree with the chick. When I got out there to see what I could do the hawk dropped the chick and flew away. The poor baby landed at my son's feet.
hit.gif
We tried to save the chick but couldn't. Needless to say my son was very upset and couldn't even help me bury it, something he has had no trouble with in the past when we have lost little ones before.

Sorry for your loss.

As kid I had many such experiences and grew as a result. Get him to learn about hawk; species sex, hunting methods, etc. Then consider methods to make it so chicks are better protected from such attacks. Avoid villifying hawk and keep him positive.

I have the same problem here in Northern Ohio. Im dealing with two breeds of hawks. Red tail hawks which are fairly large and they have picked up and flown away with fullsized Barred Rock hens and Welsummers and I have a smaller hawk called a Copper hawk that is super fast! and only looks for my smaller pullets. Ive added a few roosters which does help to keep an eye open for such birds and I have found some deer fencing, which is a fine nylon netting seven foot wide and 100 foot long which I put across certain areas like a volley ball net and have been able to net a few over the Copper hawks. The Red tails are little more selective in picking their birds. I also have a fake owl that I move around the yard daily by just hammering posts in the ground about four foot off the ground and just keep moving it around as a distraction for the hawks. It seems to work, but you have to keep it moving. Just my 2 cents worth. I hope this might help. Thanks and good luck. BCM FARMS LLC

Quote:
eventually, your owl is going to quit working. Raptors are pretty smart birds and eventually they're going to notice your owls lack of movement and reactions.

also, because of my OCD, i must correct you: you are not dealing with 2 different breeds of hawks, let alone species of hawks. You are dealing with a hawk and a buzzard. Any bird member to the genus Accipiter is a true hawk. they have short wings and a long tail which is perfect for manuvering in thick woods; their preferred habitat. Accipters generally go after other birds than mamals, but a hunger raptor will eat anything it thinks it can catch.

Buzzards are any bird that are member to the genus Buteo and they are not related to new world vultures (new world vultures are closly related to storks) Buzzards are generally larger raptors with lard broad wings used for soaring. they like to hunt rats, mice, rabbits, sometimes pheasants and partridges. They usually hunt by sitting on a high look out spot that has a good range of view.

Funnyfarmmomma; i'm really sorry for your loss, i know how your son feels as i've been there about losing chicks.

let this be a warning to people with chicks: its a known fact amoung falconers that lots of raptors favorite treat is a fuzzy little chick

Last edited:
Chickenrandomness Thanks for your explanation. But why are they both called hawks?
I have a hawk in my trees stalking my chickens and sometimes I think it is stalking me too:) I am trying to learn more about them so thanks.

In this country, both red-tail and Coopers are correctly referred to as hawks. Hunting strategies differ greatly as indicated. Neither can loft an adult standard bred barred plymouth rock that is in good condition. Neither will be repelled long-term through use of "scare owls".

I have the two hawks working my birds, not a buzzard. We have lots of buzzards around here and we know the difference between hawks and buzzards. My 12 gauge has worked wonders and I can nock them out of the trees before they strike. Problem temporarely solved.

Back
Top Bottom