Hawks and how to stop them!

Ok, I do have a covered run to keep them in I just prefer not to. And yes I checked for puncture wounds, nothing. And I know a little bit but not a ton
This is going to sound mean but, I have wrote this same post so many times I think I will just copy and paste it to a file. If you free range accept the fact that you are putting your flock out into the food chain. I personally have lost 2 flocks due to predators and I choose not to go through that bloody massacre again! My advice to you is if your not already hatching your own chicks then invest in an incubator because you will need to keep producing lots of chickens to keep up with the supply and demand of feeding predators. I choose not to feed the predators so my girls are completely confined. We paid a lot of attention to predator proofing when we built this coop and run. I have a coopers hawk that visited a couple times and I have not seen him lately because he couldn't find a way to get into my run and coop. It is a simple solution don't free range! You could get a protective roo but it is only a matter of time before you will be replacing him as well. I see this post or one just like every time I come to this site. My girls do get out of the run when I am standing right there with them. My run is completely enclosed in hardware cloth that is buried 6" into the ground for digging predators. Your hawk will return, mine did a number of times and each time it went away with no meal! So stop letting your girls free range is best thing you can do. If not I am sorry losses.

This is going to sound mean but, I have wrote this same post so many times I think I will just copy and paste it to a file. If you free range accept the fact that you are putting your flock out into the food chain. I personally have lost 2 flocks due to predators and I choose not to go through that bloody massacre again! My advice to you is if your not already hatching your own chicks then invest in an incubator because you will need to keep producing lots of chickens to keep up with the supply and demand of feeding predators. I choose not to feed the predators so my girls are completely confined. We paid a lot of attention to predator proofing when we built this coop and run. I have a coopers hawk that visited a couple times and I have not seen him lately because he couldn't find a way to get into my run and coop. It is a simple solution don't free range! You could get a protective roo but it is only a matter of time before you will be replacing him as well. I see this post or one just like every time I come to this site. My girls do get out of the run when I am standing right there with them. My run is completely enclosed in hardware cloth that is buried 6" into the ground for digging predators. Your hawk will return, mine did a number of times and each time it went away with no meal! So stop letting your girls free range is best thing you can do. If not I am sorry losses.
Thank you. And we actually haven't seen the hawk since it happened while they were out. We saw it one morning before we let it out, but threw a rock at it and we haven't seen it since

So far I believe I have been lucky. Every time I see a hawk coming towards us (me and the chickens) in the chicken yard, I grab a big rake which I keep near by and swing it around like a helicopter blade just to make myself look scary, big and menacing. It has worked several times and I sure hope it continues to work.
This is to answer chickenlover89

Last edited:
Since our hawk attack, I have been doing some rearranging for our chickens, so that they can still be free ranging, but there be less a chance of a hawk attack. I have planned a few gardens and they are specifically made for the chickens, shelter, etc. Also, I have trained my dog to be with the chickens to go to even further lengths of protection. Although he isn't an "outside dog" he does help when hes outside. Also, will the chickens begin to start knowing if a predator is around because of their call, or get more predator savvy? None of my chickens seem to have any clue what goes on around them, even though they have free-ranged their whole lives.

DianaMallory is right, as long as they free range they can be taken by predators. Not just hawks - coyotes, fox, fishers, bobcat, dogs, etc. If you want to ensure your birds' survival the only option is an enclosed run. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear.

DianaMallory is right, as long as they free range they can be taken by predators. Not just hawks - coyotes, fox, fishers, bobcat, dogs, etc. If you want to ensure your birds' survival the only option is an enclosed run. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear.
I'm not trying to ensure my birds survival, I am ok with the fact that they could get killed, in the end, everyone's gotta eat right? I was just sharing. And my area doesn't have most of those predators.

I'm not trying to ensure my birds survival, I am ok with the fact that they could get killed, in the end, everyone's gotta eat right? I was just sharing. And my area doesn't have most of those predators.
I understand. I felt the same way about my 3 to 10 year old hatchery hens. They were older, might as well go out and enjoy themselves! And they did for a long time too. However the coyotes came one morning last May and wiped them all out in a short amount of time.

My breeder birds I do keep confined to a covered run. I don't want to lose those. Too many hungry predators roaming around right now too. Coyotes hunting during midday behind the house, hawks diving through the snow to get at the little birds in the bushes, and so on.

Hi all,
Recently I had a hawk attack on one of my seven chickens. Luckily, I was out there, and able to chase the hawk off and the chicken it attacked actually fought it, so no harm was done except a bloody nose which is now fine.  I was wondering what the best way to try to avoid more hawk attacks are. My chickens are about 32 weeks old and all are laying and i believe they are full grown. Thanks in advance!

Hi chickenlover. I'm sorry to hear about your hawk problems. Do you have a rooster with your hens? If not I would get one. A good rooster is excellent at protecting hens or at least warning the hens to take cover. Also if you can figure out how to attract crows to your place they will run the hawks off. Good luck to you.

Have not experienced this first-hand but the advice of our feed store is to keep guinea hens as part of your flock. I guess those big scary birds lurking around are suppose to make the hawk think twice?
I assume this was as part of a free-range flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom