Hawks and how to stop them!

Have not experienced this first-hand but the advice of our feed store is to keep guinea hens as part of your flock. I guess those big scary birds lurking around are suppose to make the hawk think twice?
I assume this was as part of a free-range flock.
Yes it was! And thanks for the tip!

A hawk bit the dust on the road in front of my house today. My first though was "Oh no, what a shame!" My next thought was, "Well, I won't have to worry about you trying to eat my chickens." But they really are beautiful birds. :(

in early june my sisters chickens got attacked by a ground squirrel. and i found out the ground squirrels have a burrow underneath are coop!

Have not experienced this first-hand but the advice of our feed store is to keep guinea hens as part of your flock. I guess those big scary birds lurking around are suppose to make the hawk think twice? I assume this was as part of a free-range flock.
Omg! Does this really work??!
A hawk bit the dust on the road in front of my house today. My first though was "Oh no, what a shame!" My next thought was, "Well, I won't have to worry about you trying to eat my chickens." But they really are beautiful birds. :(
Haha lol whenever I see those evil birds, I look up to the sky and curse them out... the neighbors must think I'm nuts!!!

Early this morning, I had a small hawk sitting in a tree that overlooks my house and the backyard. I'm pretty sure it was watching my girls in their run, so I went to go throw rocks at it but by the time I reached the front yard it was gone. I didn't let my chickens out until many hours later. That is the first hawk I've seen since I got my flock they are 3 months old, and I didn't see him for the rest of the day but I have a feeling he will be back. We do have tons of jays and mocking birds around here that I've seen chasing hawks and bigger birds in the past but now that there are chickens out and about it may be harder to scare a hungry hawk away. I know the only way to ensure no loss of life is to keep them pinned up, but my feather babies won't be happy like that and I feel like they will lead fuller lives free ranging. Plus I don't really have finances right now for an expansion of the run, my current run is 14 ft x 8ft and I house 10 hens and 2 roosters. Will 2 roosters be adequate protection for my flock? Is there more I can be doing while they free range?

I have free ranged chickens for over 20 years, in southern Michigan. My coop is very secure, attached to a fairly safe but definitely hawk proof run. When I've had a hawk take a chicken while they free range, everyone is then confined to the run and coop for at least 10 days. Last fall we had a Coopers Hawk, totally fearless of people, take two birds in one day. After the birds were in lock-down, he sat on the coop waiting for them to come out for dinner. It was funny, really. I kept everyone in for almost two months; he hasn't returned. Raptors are federally protected; really big consequences for anyone who goes after them. We see hawks every day, but mostly haven't had issues with them. Now about coons anf possums, a different story entirely! Mary

I have free ranged chickens for over 20 years, in southern Michigan. My coop is very secure, attached to a fairly safe but definitely hawk proof run. When I've had a hawk take a chicken while they free range, everyone is then confined to the run and coop for at least 10 days. Last fall we had a Coopers Hawk, totally fearless of people, take two birds in one day. After the birds were in lock-down, he sat on the coop waiting for them to come out for dinner. It was funny, really. I kept everyone in for almost two months; he hasn't returned. Raptors are federally protected; really big consequences for anyone who goes after them. We see hawks every day, but mostly haven't had issues with them. Now about coons anf possums, a different story entirely! Mary

How big a bird will a hawk take on in relation to its own size? Most of our hawks are pretty small. Will a 3 lb hawk go after a 5 lb. hen? Or do I just need to worry about the bigger ones?

So im guessing it was in broad daylight? and you were near the area? wow that hawk will def be back maybe a lgd just to throw it out there cheap if your lucky free and if you have other livestock theyre great with others. i have several and they bark at hawks coyotes they drag up dead coons and groundhogs..
I LIKE THE CD IDEA DOES IT WORK?
the hanging of cd's only help for a short time .

Back
Top Bottom