hawks have gotten about 9 of my chickens my

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by farmer macdonald123, Mar 17, 2009.

1. farmer macdonald123

farmer macdonald123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    north carolina
    when i let them free range( the chickens) hawks always find a way to get them
    even when i watch them i also have an owl thing the laws provent me from shooting them what should i do??????

2. JupiterFarmer

JupiterFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Palm Beach County
    Stand with a brightly colored broom and wave it wildly. The ones we got circling decide to leave when we do that when we got the chicks out. The crows who have their heart set on a chick dinner however don't mind this.

Best thing to do is to make them a good sized covered run

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I would say it is time to build a run with a cover over it. If you know that the hawks are going to get your chickens, then you need to take a proper course of action to protect your chickens. They are virtually helpless against predators like that, so the best thing to do in your situation is to build a run that is covered and keep them locked in. I know that sounds like a boring life for you chickens, but if the run is large enough they will be just fine and much safer and happier than being eaten by hawks day in, day out. [​IMG]

You are also absolutely correct that it is against the law to shoot a hawk or any other bird of prey.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    How would you feel about getting a livestock guardian dog to protect them?

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Hey! This is a fantastic idea too, but one that would take awhile to establish unless you can find a full grown Heeler, Pyrenees, German Shepherd, or another livestock dog that is ready to do the job! [​IMG]

6. farmer macdonald123

farmer macdonald123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    north carolina
    i have a dog but she is lazy and dont do much but she alwas barks at thing like that

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    What about firing a noise shot? I don't know anything at all about it, but I saw the noise shells at the feed store today.

How about shooting the hawks with paintballs? Or maybe getting a power sprayer and being ready to hit them with that? I encouraged the crows that come around and they hang out because I feed them bread. They keep the hawks at bay, somehow.

Best of luck!

edited to correct the message about crows.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2009
  8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Maybe you could trade in your lazy dog for a non-lazy one?

9. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    Alot of birds don't like them yard things that go around in circles. Not windmills but I can't think what they call them right know. I know someone knows what I'm thinking about.

10. Johnboat

Johnboat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    S. S. S. shoot shovel and shut up !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by