Hawks in the city!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wundernurse, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wundernurse

wundernurse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta
    I live in Atlanta and was out with my 3, 4 week old chicks for a little fresh air and sunshine on this very nice afternoon. I was in my small city backyard with my 2 dogs about 10 feet from my birds, when hawk swooped down and grabbed one of my girls. I feel so sad and responsible for what has happened, putting them in harms way. I did not realize hawks were so fearless. Are they such a threat to adult chickens? I was hoping to let mine free range in the backyard some while I was out there gardening and playing with the kids, but now i don't know. I don't want just coop chickens, they are so fun to have running around. I feel so sad, she was my favorite, an EE named Cleo [​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I live in a suburban area. 2 days ago I saw a hawk circling about the neighborhood. Last night I smelled skunk in the alley. ACK!!!!

Yes, they are a threat.

3. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    In Woburn, MA., which IS a city, our neighborhood had Red Tailed Hawks nesting just two doors down from our house. They are magnificent birds.
    Pigeons and squirrels soon stared to disappear. Another reason I like crows and ravens is that they kept the hawks in control!

4. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Really? Cool. I have a murder of crows that hangs out near my house. I have always had a friendly relationship with the crows...LOL

5. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    hawk hunting in suberbs???? sure it was not a falcon??

and yes,, everything is out there to eat our chickens:(

6. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    In my case, it was a hawk. Way too big for a falcon and the red tail was a dead give-a-way [​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i live in mass..and i see hawks all the time flying around our bigger cities...stinkin things! [​IMG]

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I live in the city too. And guess what? My neighbor found a great horned owl that got shot by some idiot in her yard(which is about 150ft from mine)

9. tamlynn

tamlynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Torrance, CA
    I live in the Los Angeles area and a hawk got one of my full-size Bantam hens last fall. Very sad. Every once in a while I see the hawk around the neighborhood. My remaining hen has become very good at ducking for cover. Just last week I saw a crow attacking the hawk in mid-air. It chased the hawk off!

10. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I have hawks around all the time now it seems.
    They have no fear of people whatsoever, I had one of the hens grabbed by a hawk with my husband and I both out working in the yard.
    Brazen things they are.
    They were particularly bad while they were migrating during sept/oct and I thought they were gone for the year but I had one out here two days ago.
    I heard the chickens making a rucous, I look out the window and see them hiding in the shrubs and running in the coops when I see this big shadow glide over the snow. I knew it had to be a hawk, sure enough when I go outside there he is perched in a tree.
    This past fall I had one hawk repeatedly dive bomb over my head out in the yard.
    I thought I could scare it away but it kept flying over me, within a couple of feet.
    My husband was yelling for me to get out of the yard but I was trying to usher the younger chickens into the safety of their coops.
    I waved my arms and shouted at this thing and it wasn't fazed at all.
    They are definitely in the suburbs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by