Hawks!

Jess89

Songster
Oct 23, 2018
Tennessee
Because I’m new to this and I’m sure there is absolutely NOTHING I can do about it. But is there anyway of keeping hawks away without having to keep my chickens cooped up all day. I hardly ever seen a hawk before I got chickens. It’s like one went and told the whole population of hawks around here! But I want I want my chickens to LIVE! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hope you are not in the US, if you are then your husband is a criminal and could be charged thousands of dollars in fines. When I was younger we took a sharp-shinned hawk to a animal rescue place because it had a messed up wing. They said that it had been shot and if they found out who did it they would get an $11,000 fine. If you shot and killed several hawks then you are off to jail in the US. Definitely do not shoot them. Either keep the chickens in the coop or supervise them while free ranging. There is also a ton of tricks you could do to prevent hawk attacks that other members will likely post about.

(Assuming you're in US) Hawks are federally protected, I hope you're aware of that. I wouldn't be posting publicly about killing them.
Well I thought I had heard that. I was under the impression it was just certain states had different laws. I knew in our area Vultures/Buzzards were. I apologize.

Like @rosemarythyme said hawks are federal protecting making it illegal to kill them in the u.s.a. If you have a rooster he will warn the girls when he sees or even thinks he sees them and take them to cover. Hanging CD’s around the yard or area they roam works wonderful for me because the CD to hawks or predatory birds is like someone shining a bright flashlight in your eyes. My father has tried to kill hawks before and I would either put my hand on the gun or stand in front of him and that worked well lol. If you ever see vultures DO NOT shoo them away or kill them because they chase the hawks away and we have vultures come in out yard with our chickens out and they ignore each other.

Hawks love chickens, so do possums, fox, skunks, coins, dogs etc....
The only way to completely protect your flock is to secure them in an enclosure.
I also free ranged until the hawks came to close for comfort. I like knowing my flock is safe and the flock doesn't seem to mind. Their enclosure is quite large tho so it's more like safe- free-ranging.
I hope you can find a happy medium for you and your flock.
Thanks for joining us!

Because I’m new to this and I’m sure there is absolutely NOTHING I can do about it. But is there anyway of keeping hawks away without having to keep my chickens cooped up all day. I hardly ever seen a hawk before I got chickens. It’s like one went and told the whole population of hawks around here! But I want I want my chickens to LIVE! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah, I hope you are not in the US, if you are then your husband is a criminal and could be charged thousands of dollars in fines. When I was younger we took a sharp-shinned hawk to a animal rescue place because it had a messed up wing. They said that it had been shot and if they found out who did it they would get an $11,000 fine. If you shot and killed several hawks then you are off to jail in the US. Definitely do not shoot them. Either keep the chickens in the coop or supervise them while free ranging. There is also a ton of tricks you could do to prevent hawk attacks that other members will likely post about.
Like I said I was unaware of this. I thought this was in certain states. My apologies! I new Vultures/Buzzards were protected. As many people as I’ve seen write about killing hawks over their chickens, I certainly did not know!

Like @rosemarythyme said hawks are federal protecting making it illegal to kill them in the u.s.a. If you have a rooster he will warn the girls when he sees or even thinks he sees them and take them to cover. Hanging CD’s around the yard or area they roam works wonderful for me because the CD to hawks or predatory birds is like someone shining a bright flashlight in your eyes. My father has tried to kill hawks before and I would either put my hand on the gun or stand in front of him and that worked well lol. If you ever see vultures DO NOT shoo them away or kill them because they chase the hawks away and we have vultures come in out yard with our chickens out and they ignore each other.
Thank you! I told my husband getting a rooster may help but I think he knows about as much about raising chickens as I do. Lol! I’ve also heard the CD method and I wondered if it worked.

Back
Top Bottom