Hawks

beachchickie

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2009
Alabama
Has anyone tried using a boom box playing to ward off hawks? My father suggested a scare crow with a boom box. I have not tried but I just lost my fav hen to a migrating Cooper's hawk. That is what killed my pullets in the spring.

Sorry for your loss. I have tried to console myself that at least death is swift with hawks. I don't know about the boom box, but I don't think a scarecrow would work as people have reported hawks taking chickens almost out of their arms. The hawks always leave when they see me coming but that is because I am usually running , screaming and waving my arms at them. I've read a lot about hawks attacking chickens in the last few weeks as I've lost two chickens out of my small flock of 10 in the last month. I'm convinced that the only way to stop them is to thoroughly net and fence. I thought that netting would do it until I saw a hawk on the ground walking towards my modern game bird that was crouching under a few small stems. Luckily I was home and showed up at the right time. I also had one of those plastic owls that I moved every week. Last week I fenced and netted my chickens into a smaller area at least until the snow is gone and they are not so visible, or when I am out with them. I haven't had any issues since. Good luck with your hawk problem.

Kayri has the right idea. I have a large permanent crow population so I depend on them to keep the hawks away. I have had one close encounter tho when a large red-tail sat on the corner post of the run and surveyed the whole flock cowering in the corner. My run is pretty big and would be a PITA to put netting over. It has a large coop and three medium sized trees in it. Best I could do is to put up netting in the most open areas to discourage a swoop & grab.
hmm.png

I am afraid to free-range mine. I have 24 and just know that I cannot watch them all.
hide.gif
Have to be sure they get all the goodies they could while free-ranging and that is what I try to do.
hmm.png

Mine were out free ranging today when I looked out the back door. Saw one running for cover. 3 hawks soaring overhead with about 100 smaller birds flying all around them. I ran out quickly and made sure everyone was under cover, then the crows came and ran them off. At least mine have lots of good places to hide, but I stayed out for a long time to make sure they didn't come back.

That's really nice you're trying to figure a way to protect your birds without shooting the hawks.
Deep in my heart, I love raptors, they're so beautiful and they don't typically kill to kill like some animals do
I'd keep a dog around if you have the time to commit to a dog or figure out another way.
It seems my birds protect one another and head underneath the bushes!
How about adding cover??? something for them to hide under when danger comes flying above

I experienced my first loss of a bantam hen to a hawk in the beginning of December. Since then I have been careful about letting them roam the yard without supervision. My hens were out today at 4:30 - I kept watch out the window. Suddenly I saw a hawk on one of my bantam hens. I ran out and the hawk took off. She appears to be alright - lost some feathers... and had a small blood spot - I think from having the feathers plucked out. I've been watching her carefully and I checked her over pretty good. For those with experience... is there anything I should look for? I noticed when I went out later to check on them that the hen that was attacked seemed to be breathing heavier than the others... but I also noticed a few days ago that some of them were sneezing on occasion (I never knew that chickens could sneeze) - maybe the heavy breathing is a result from a respiratory cold?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Signed,
a concerned beginner

The best thing to do is scare the blasted dand things off! I take a shot gun out there and scare them have to death by shooting really close them and missing thyem by maybe a few feet. If the dang fine wasn't so high I would have a freezer full of Hawk! And proabably my neighbors peacocks too! Hahahaha. Just joking. But seriously. I do that without injuring them and they will be too scared to come back. I had three redtails that took maybe 8-15 chcikens. I count them everday and I couldn't find out what got them. Well I caught a raccoon, fox, and 2 itty bitty baby opossums. I spared the foxes and the babies but for Mr. Coon.... But seriously try that. They have NEVER came back again. I had a few new ones come and I scare them too. Not a problem anymore. As for eagles, our local WLRA has released those darn things. But I can't bare to even try and even act like I am going to shoot them. For what it stands for. If this ain't no help for you then just completely disreguard it please. Sometimes my 2 cents gets a little overboard. I am just telling you what I think. Hahahaha. Thank you

Quote:
I've had hawks on the ground walk up to my birds hiding under cover. I think it was a cooper's hawk, and I don't know what it would have done if I hadn't been there, but I was glad that I was there, so in addition to netting, I spent 4 hrs and a $100 on fence and fence posts. . .

It is strange but I have a red tail that just flys over every day. He/she has never bothered them. Those Cooper hawks are fast, they swoop down quickly and trap them under brush. When the red tail is not around the Coopers rush in. I have been considering getting a dog. Was not sure that would help. Also, a puppy would have to be trained NOT to kill my birds. I have read that it is equally considered a federal crime to even scare them away? I live in the city and the girls get really loud when I make them stay inside the pen. I have to take my chances

I am forunate because if have 6 huge crows that live on my property and their favorite hangout is about 40' from the coop. Everytime a redtail hawk comes over they go after it. I feed the crows at that base of that tree and they stay right here.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom