Hawks

I am a new silkie mommy and I am just terrified that a hawk is going to get my babies. We let them free range in the front yard. There are trees etc but I'm still scared. I would be so upset if something killed them! would they know if a hawk was circling around?

I've heard that hanging CD's in the hawks sight will deter them. I guess they don't like the shiny and reflective coating. I've never tried it myself but itd be worth a shot.

I am a new silkie mommy and I am just terrified that a hawk is going to get my babies. We let them free range in the front yard. There are trees etc but I'm still scared. I would be so upset if something killed them! would they know if a hawk was circling around?

Maybe. How old are they? Do they have a fluffy topknot? Chickens with feathery crests often have more trouble seeing up into the sky. Polish, silkies, etc... have more impaired vision. You can trim their feathers if you'd like to help them a bit! But there is still a risk.

Dealing with hawks is all about what your personal "acceptable" levels of risk are.

For some, the benefit of full-time free ranging is worth the risk of hawks. They can also reduce this risk a bit with preventative measures such as a lot of areas of the chickens to hide or dash underneath in event of a hawk attack, protective roosters can also help quite a bit, as can livestock guardian dogs in the area. Some people have success with hanging CDs and scarecrows (some do not).

For others, the risk of losing a pet is not acceptable, and so they build covered runs to keep their birds in.

I take the middle road, and only free range when I am physically in the same area of my birds.

When we first put our guinea pigs outside it was like we put a sign out for hawks. We have some in the trees near us but I hadn't ever seen them in/above my yard. We are at the top of a hill. The piggie cage is fully covered with a wood lid so they couldn't see the guinea pigs but could hear them. They'd circle and go below the fence (down the hill alittle) and then back up. Finally they'd sit on the fence. All the while, my dog would be laying inside watching and waiting... as soon as the hawk would land, he'd go running out barking like crazy. After about 2 days, the hawk stopped coming.

That said, my husband said he saw a hawk on our chimney when he came home today. Guess we better keep a close eye out.

Back
Top Bottom