Hawks

WOW!!! That one was close, wasn't it? Goooood job on protecting you're babies. But, yes, harming raptors is a federal offense. STUPID HAWK. It keeps trying to get our chickens, which always run to the bush. We havn't lost one yet to hawks, but I have the horrible feeling that we are eventually going to lose one to that hawk. Man, hawks are such an annoying problem.
he.gif
barnie.gif
sad.png
somad.gif

Oh well. Well done on keeping your babies safe. Good idea with the house shoes. Lol.
gig.gif
yesss.gif
ya.gif

Get a .22 rifle.

I find it funny when foxes, hawks, coyotes kill your chickens that's fine, but when you kill the predators and get caught then you get arrested...

Last edited:
I heard a cluck this morning and looked out the window thinking someone laid an egg, but when I looked out I didn't see anyone in the run, hum. Then I see it, a HAWK! Sitting in the dogwood tree right beside the coop/run. The run is enclosed and covered so the Hawk couldn't get in but it was scary and I know the girls weren't too happy about it. I grab the camera so I could get a picture and here it is. I guess the girls won't be running around the backyard today! Anyone know what kind of hawk this is??

The picture is a bit fuzzy but that looks like a Red Tail to me. VERY dangerous and determined killers. I would not turn your back on your chickens for ONE SINGLE MINUTE now that this hawk knows where they live. If you let them out I would stay out there with them constantly and never let them out of your sight.

Great photo catch, real_redhead!

To the OP of this thread, what a wonderful visual of you pelting that hawk with your house shoes to save your babies!!! Gave me a teeny bit of satisfaction from my own dealings with hawks along with a chuckle.

After many days of observation with a good set of binoculars, I've learned that my property is only part of the hawks' hunting territory rather than their residence. My area is scouted from morning until mid-afternoon, with a retreat to the distant mountains to the East. So far, no return after that time. I let my birds out to free range after 3pm and so far, so good. But I'm still keeping close watch. I'm also pleased to witness my chooks taking cover when buzzards are overhead, since witnessing the demise of their sister.

Well I know better than to KILL the hawk, just beacuase its hungry doesn't mean you can kill them. I would protect my chickens it every way, but not kill the hawk.

Back
Top Bottom