Hawks

We have also had terrible hawk problems. I've lost a full grown BR and a full grown BCM to a huge redtailed hawk--one of a pair that lives in our area. Both times, the hawk killed them on the ground inside our hen house. They used to free range in our back yard from dawn till dusk, but now I rarely let them out unless we're home and even then, I'm so paranoid that I constantly check them. They have plenty of cover in our yard and can run under our deck where nothing can reach them--but it seems that their first inclination is to head for their house, and that's a bad move. I recently heard our Wheaten Maran hollering at the top of her chicken lungs and walked out on the deck to find the girls huddled under the nesting boxes--and the hawk sitting on the fence looking in the hen house door! Probably plotting which one to eat first. I don't want to kill it (well, I HAVE wished it dead) but I want it to leave the gals alone. Our local game warden told me to harass it in any way I could--including beating pots and pans to make noise to scare it off, and shooting off firecrackers in the yard. I can see myself explaining that to our local law enforcement, as I live in a large Texas suburb.

I keep a broom by the backdoor.
wink.png
I have this thing I like to call "Preydar" I always look outside at just the right time, grab my broom and come out the door screaming like a banchee.

yuckyuck.gif

I have a red tailed hawk that is fond of my young chicks. I believe he's gotten off with four of them.
It's hard to keep tallies on Mister Hawk and Mister Fox...

Anyhoo, the chicks are 6 weeks and getting larger by the day so I hope in a couple more weeks I can actually let them explore more of the lovely pastureland they have. So frustrating (my word of the week on BYC) to have all this land but to have to keep my chicks cooped up because of the air predators.

I know this is an old post, I missed it before...

I keep a broom by the backdoor.
wink.png
I have this thing I like to call "Preydar" I always look outside at just the right time, grab my broom and come out the door screaming like a banchee. Those hawks are brave little things too. Not scared of people like I think they should be.

If I kept a broom by the door my husband would probably say it was my ride...

I really am amazed at how many of you have hawk problems. Maybe 1/4 mile down from my house (just outside my pasture) is a stand of cottonwood trees. Every year there are hawks nesting there, I am not sure if they are Swainsons or Red Tails, but definately in the Buteo family. They have never bothered my poultry. I have been raising chickens and turkeys since 1993, and for many years didn't even have a cover on the run. Though one day I was in the turkey house hunting rats (that is the one building my cats can't get into) when I heard a rat screaming and thought one of the cats had it. Stupid rats ocassionally went out of the pen and the cats would be waiting... I went out to see which cat had it and a hawk took off. I listened to the rats screams fade into the distance. I really don't know why we don'tt have problems. Maybe because we have plenty of gophers and bunnies to keep a hawk happy? The Buteos do seem to prefer rodents.

A redtail that has developed a taste for chicken will not hesitate to attack and kill adult birds. They are fully capable of killing prey far larger than themselves. Twiggers, I would only free range with supervision to assure the safety of your birds.

My dog watches the yard and was barking at the patio door today, I spotted this in the trees:

DH happened upon this bird while it was having lunch yesterday near our steps, maybe mockingbird feathers:

All this talk of not killing a hawk because of the laws, the law says "The taking, killing and/or illegal possession of hawks, owls, songbirds, endangered species or any other species for which a season is not set (e.g. snakes) is prohibited." My point in posting this is SNAKES are on that list also, but I am sure if a big snake especially a venomous one was in your coop sucking down eggs it would be killed. I know I would definitely kill any venomous one around my house. We kill deer that eat crops, and coyotes that eat livestock. What is the difference? There are plenty of hawks, if not they wouldn't be a problem for everyone! LOL

Everyone who is saying to kill it doesn't know what they're talking about. If anyone sees you even harass it you could be reported and could find yourself with a nice big fine and perhaps some jail time. Maybe it won't happen, but its not worth the chance. Besides, a new one would replace it anyways soon after since there are obviously more than one hawk in the area. If you don't want any casualties build a large secure run.

Back
Top Bottom