Hawks....

i told someone today if my husband shoots the hawk theres nothing i can do about it
thumbsup.gif
FYI I HATE HAWKS

yuckyuck.gif

S.S.S. - Shoot, Shovel, Shut up.

NOW I HATE FALCONS TOO!
rant.gif

The way to distinguish between a hawk and a falcon is hawks come in a either punch the animal with their talons in a fist, or they grab the animal and carry it away. A falcon if they cannot carry the animal away will come in with its talons in a fist with the back talon facing outward and actually split the animal open. Falcon attacks are not pretty.

Oregon Blues - Do you ever drive over the speed limit? To make a comment like that is kind of un called for. Show me the last chicken farmer busted fo rthousands of dollars for protecting his chickens from predators.

It is a given that any post about *gettin' that hawk* will result in a warning of some kind.Every hawk thread I have read has a few of those comments when someone talks about killing them or annoying them in any way.

I have yet to get the true facts from a neighbor who I heard through the gossip vine was fined for a hawk kill.Makes you wonder how it was verified that the person killed a hawk.Are people dumb enough to admit it? I suppose they could be as some do the same with dogs they kill.While those dog kills are for the most part legal to kill we all know it does not result in good neighbor relations when you do admit to it.

Konwing the fine for killing certain animals I am surpirsed people would admit to it.Me, I am always hopeful the hawks around us will die sooner than later.Life is tough in the wild,and development makes things tougher still. I just watch,wait,and hope.Not going to break any laws.

Oregon Blues - Do you ever drive over the speed limit? To make a comment like that is kind of un called for. Show me the last chicken farmer busted fo rthousands of dollars for protecting his chickens from predators.

Oregonblues is not off the mark. Driving over the speed limit is one thing. Killing hawks is far different. Do a search on operationhighroller - a federal sting where a federal agent infilitrated a Birmingham roller competition club resulting in the arrest, fining, and imprisonment of several fanciers. The killing of hawks is not to be taken lightly and/or broadcast on pubic forums. It's only common sense folks. Understand that there are those who are as passionate about birds of prey as we are about our poultry. It's all about common sense.

Oregonblues is not off the mark. Driving over the speed limit is one thing. Killing hawks is far different. Do a search on operationhighroller - a federal sting where a federal agent infilitrated a Birmingham roller competition club resulting in the arrest, fining, and imprisonment of several fanciers. The killing of hawks is not to be taken lightly and/or broadcast on pubic forums. It's only common sense folks. Understand that there are those who are as passionate about birds of prey as we are about our poultry. It's all about common sense.

Indeed, agreed-- and there are folks that work for government agencies that use these boards. Don't be fooled by anonymity online; even if you don't post where you are, if you post about doing something illegal and they want to find you, they easily can via IP and ISP information.
If you post about killing or bothering hawks here, in a public forum, it is frankly silly to complain about people 'letting you know the law'.
Some people try to educate first, just in case it was done out of ignorance.... before doing the right thing.

I've been sunning a few times on our deck watching the chickens and had to lunge off the porch with arms waving to ward off hawk attacks. If they are circling high overhead the chickens run for shelter but those few times the hawks were coming in low using our neighbors house as a blind. Literally diving in only a few feet above neighbors roof line as I'm bounding off the deck. It's rather surreal seeing a large bird coming right at you then reality sets in what it is and what's about to happen.

Hawks cause me problems under two very specific situations

Coopers buzz my free-range chickens daily but do not target adults and much of year my birds do not even react to Coopers hawks as the hawk is going after songbirds. During production season when chicks and small juveniles (chickens) are about is a different story. The Coopers go after those big time. My production dominiques are brooder reared and vulnerable to female Coopers until about 8 weeks old. Male Coopers have problems packing 5 week old juvenile dominiques. They could easily kill larger but the Coopers when hunting my place have always caught victim and carried it off alive to kill it in woods down hill. They do not land on ground where chickens free range. Same hawks have also been observed to go after chick and juvenile games but have not been successful at taking any of those to date. Game hen takes hawk head on causing latter to veer of. She make a ruckus and the harem master rooster (also a game that is father) backs her up and then positions himself between hen with chicks and Coopers. When chicks become juveniles (hen quits clucking) rooster takes over tending brood and he alone will still engage Coopers. Even game juveniles at 12 weeks are too big for Coopers to take easily and rooster still defends them until after that time. Dynamics involving Coopers is vary much a function of hen to rooster ratio. Too many hens and rooster can not defend them all. Only my games have exhibited the capacity to consistently repel Coopers hawks. Red jungle fowl hen seems willing to challenge Coopers going after her chicks but I doubt she would be successful if much larger game rooster did not back her up. My pure dominiques I have not seen to do this and suspect they lack the athleticism the games have which may be needed to succeed. It is not about actual combat, it is about bluffing to keep Coopers away.

Red-tails are only a problem during winter months, usually with snow on ground, and they play hell on my red jungle fowl (roosters first, then hens) and go after anything with dominique in them. Size or coloration does not seem as important as the chickens response to red-tail coming after you. All my birds go nuts when red-tail approaches. Most of the time they seek heavy cover like the sweet sumac stems shown below. In order for hawk to pursue issue there, it has to get on ground and that is when hawk can be vulnerable to counter attack by the reddish brown guy and his kin (games). Games will often drive hawk off but only do so then they are not in molt. It took me a while to figure why they where fickle about defending their interest. The games are also very good at staying in the cover patch. The red jungle fowl, roosters in particular, tend to flush and fly to another location. Red jungle fowl can fly pretty good but when red-tail goes after flushing jungle fowl he gains speed faster because he starts from power line about 18 feet above. Red-tail does not catch jungle every time but it is frequent enough to prevent me from getting any free-range jungle fowl rooster through winter when I start with 5. The dominiques are harder to catch but they are caught when they walk / run too far from cover patch. Pure dominique roosters have not been observed to stand ground against red-tail. Next winter I will test F1 dominique x game to see if that will work.

Red-tails are pretty much done from now until next December as a threat, apparently in part do to interactions with a smaller and generally subordinate hawk species, namely the red-shouldered hawk. Resident red-shouldered hawk pair are setting up breeding territory that is centered on my patch. They are not a threat to even my juveniles but they mob red-tails when they visit. The mobbing is adequate to keep red-tails mind out of game. Another anti-hawk system is dog can easily distinguish hawks from chickens and when chickens start getting riled up, then dog is there very quickly standing on his hind legs looking up at hawk above him. If hawk were to tangle with chicken on ground long enough for dog to get there, Scoob (dog) would at least love him to death. Same dog will also chase after Coopers hawk flying barely over flocks head even though chickens give no alarm is given. Dog has only been effective against predators since late last summer owing to youth.

Adult male red-shouldered hawk. I think his lady chick is already on nest. He is a rowdy dude.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom