Hawks :(

Unfortunatly you are going to loose birds, if not from predators then from illness. And it always seems like it is your favorite hen that is taken.
I don't know how big of an area you have to protect, but you might try a scarecrow with something bright that can swing in the breeze and reflect the sunlight to scare the hawk away.

I lost a silkie chick to a hawk earlier today, free ranging makes happy birds but also causes many more problems all you can really do if you plan to always free range is just kill what predators you can and just hope. BTW if hawks are your only problem id suggest a martin colony, thats what im working on right now.

It's hawk migration right now...lots of them heading south. Hopefully in a few weeks most of them will be further south until next spring, though some hawks do linger through the winter here in NH, and a few move in from further north. We have chicken wire covering the top of our run, and don't let them free range unless we are in the yard.

Thanks again everybody! So glad I found this chicken loving community :)
I've only been letting my other 3 out under supervision- they are not pleased with me about staying cooped up most of the day. I would LOVE to get a Great Pyrenees- I already checked the rescue site in our area :) My husband might kill me though- we have 3 other dogs already! I wish I could trust them around the chickens and then I would just bring everybody into my backyard! I'm also looking into possibly keeping a turkey as a flock protector. Any thoughts? Sigh- lots to think about.
Consider an English Shepherd... not as big a size commitment, a bit less hair, and a perfect LSGD. My Jackson runs in circles around the flock when he sees the crows or Hawks above. The minute he starts that,, Mr. Roo cocks his head sideways,, and sounds his alarm, and the ladies go running. Jack hates crows.. HATES them.. barks like nuts if he sees them land, and he is inside with me..
I have a video of him running looking up at them.. I will try to find it and post it.. here is a picture of Jack.I think ES's are the perfect LSGD. Also very protccetive of the family, and "his" children.

How would I deal with the hawk? The shoe I threw at it (if it is the same one) a few weeks ago didn't work :( Is it safe to assume that it is the same one? We dont see them very often...
You didn't say what type of shoe you threw. I 'spect a direct hit with a horseshoe would do the trick.
wink.png

We have ALOT of hawks around here where I live...I free range all day and have been for several months. I have not lost a chicken yet. I know there are great risks taken to let them range. My chickens LOVE being out and free doing what chickens do....I love to watch them range and be free....if I penned them up I don't believe they would be very happy. Do you have a rooster? I don't believe my rooster would provide complete safety, however he does seem to be more intellegent than the hens and sounds the alarm and the hens hide. He always keeps a watchful eye out for hawks. For me it is about the quality of life not the quantity. If something happens I will have to accept it as part of raising chickens. You can only do so much and then let nature take it's course. Sounds like you have done what you can to provide safety. I am sorry for your loss...it is not your fault it is the nature of raising and keeping livestock low on the food chain.

I heard a bunch of crows out back yesterday raising cane, so I got my caller out, set it up on the front porch, and killed 2 crows out of the gang that came over the house.
I have had problems before with crows taking eggs that are not laid in the coop but now I would never kill a crow here. If I hear the crows going nuts, I know that they are chasing off one of the hawks. Whenever I see this, they chase the hawk over about 5 acres behind us and usually continue on until I can't see them.

I plan on leaving seed out for the crows when it gets a bit colder, not right next to the coop but so that the crows will be more inclined to stay. My girls don't lay outside of the coop and I like having the extra protection from the hawks.
I have lost 1 chicken to a hawk. It was the day after I removed a tarp I had given the younger birds for shade outside. Needless to say the tarp went back up.

That hawk is actually perched on the door of the chicken pen although all of the chickens are at that time in the front yard under the oaks digging in the ginger patch
I'll say with confidence....that hawk WOULD NOT sit perched on my coop. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Okay, so geese maybe aren't the answer. We'll just use the netting over the run, and let them free range when we think it's safe.

As for shooting raptors, I personally wouldn't, whether or not it is legal. Raptors are a necessary predator for the wild. When you start removing top predators, it can throw off the balance in a given ecosystem, and have long-lasting effects that may not be felt immediately. More and more studies within conservation biology and wildlife ecology are proving this, and are discovering that humans are not so insulated from these effects.

My personal viewpoint is to understand that raptors do what they evolved to do, and I as someone with a vested interest in my chickens can protect them without interfering with trophic systems of the wild.

Again, my personal opinion based on science, and not a judgment on anyone here.

Also, I am sorry to hear of these other losses. Good luck with your flocks, everyone!

I have dogs but the hawk sits in the tree anyway. I shouted at it last time and it just circled above me!
I have found my glitter balls are working at the moment - our hawk doesn't visit daily but I haven't seen it since i hung them. I was a bit skeptical about them but as I rode my horse home the other day down the hill I looked over to our place and could see one of those balls so brightly and I was about half a k away!
Today I am ordering some garden scarecrows and found an owl which moves its head for out there as well, I am over aesthetics!
I hate having them locked up even though its a massive run and hate being so freaking paranoid.
When the hawk visited last it went under the trees and shrubs to have a go at my girl Walter... I have half chicken wire over the top now and mirrors and...glitter balls everywhere!
Looking at netting for the rest, have the garden man coming next week.

Back
Top Bottom