Hawks :(

Does the reflector tape work?
So far so good. We had a red tail brave enough to come into the fenced area right near the coops and our house and kill one of my bantam hens, I heard my rooster and went out to see what was going on, and everyone was piled up next to the gate that's when I saw the hawk take off he was so low because of the trees it took him a while to get lift, He only killed her he didn't get to carry her off, so I ordered the pred tape and we have strung it up in the areas they hang out in most then went to other parts of the fenced in property and hung streamers in the trees, this stuff crackles when the wind blows and it really flashes when the sun and wind hits it.

There are just a few random "locals" right now. There are a couple pairs of eagles that live within a few miles too. In the spring, early summer, there can be as many as 20 of them swarming our area all at once. We have a movable cage made with chicken wire and pvc pipe. They cannot go out then, unless they are in it. I think we made it almost an entire year of "carefree free-ranging".
sad.png
That was sure a dream!!!

There are just a few random "locals" right now. There are a couple pairs of eagles that live within a few miles too. In the spring, early summer, there can be as many as 20 of them swarming our area all at once. We have a movable cage made with chicken wire and pvc pipe. They cannot go out then, unless they are in it. I think we made it almost an entire year of "carefree free-ranging".
sad.png
That was sure a dream!!!

I know that was an abrupt ending that's too bad, My flock has a large piece of fenced property to range in daily we put up no climb horse fence last spring with barb wire on top of that to keep the blk bears out they destroyed our welded wire. I couldn't imagine having to pen my flock up they have had freedom for going on 10 yrs starting with the Muscovy's I've lost a few chickens and it's heart breaking, but I think I'd have to give up my flock before I stopped letting them have the freedom they have now. I use to let them out of the fenced area a lot more than I do now, that I don't do unless I can be with them. I have a couple of game bantams though that go right over the fence.

Last edited:
I have had good luck with the reflective tape. It twirls, and shines and does keep the hawks away. I have strips hung from our trees, fences, sheds etc and even added a few CD's that I hung from strings from the trees so that will add a whole lot more reflectiveness :)

Oh I love that Quote..i lost my most beautiful polish "steeler" last weekend to a hawk. I did at least scar him away so he was not able to take her, but he had killed her before I could get to her. I felt so guilty..cried for 2 days

Sorry for your loss. My wifes chickens are her babies. If something was to happen to one of the girls she would be heartbroken. We keep ours put up at night and let run in the day within their run. All sides are covered with chicken wire and the bottom 4 inches of wire is burried to discourage predators from digging in.
The top is also covered with chicken wire. Right now the run is 6ft by 17 ft. I am about to make the run twice as large 12 x 16 to accomidate more birds and will add 2 x 4in heavy gauge wire around the bottom 4 ft of the run in addition to the chicken wire.
We have had coyotes coming very close the past few nights and want to make it harder for them.

I feel that the birds safety outweighs the "I'm happy, I'm free" free ranging yard birds. So they will get a much bigger run but it will still be completely fenced in including the top. We have lots of redtail hawks and a few bald eagles here. Coons, possums, fox, coyotes, bobcats, mink, cotton mouths, copperheads and rattlers. No free meals!

I will do my best to keep the losses to a minimum but there will be losses.

Mark <><

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom