Hawks :(

Me too mamahen I loved having my chickens free range and watching them from the window,and having them come running when they see me to see if I had them a treat,they would come running when I would feed the cats and if it was soft cat food would make the cats leave ,so funny,when it would rain they would head to the covered porch and sit with the kitty's,they loved me digging in the garden they got all in my way..:)

Between my neighbors and I and a few strays we have loads of cats and have never had one mess with a chicken, my chickens will eat and sit beside my cats ,however I don't let chicks out of the pen till they are older.

I'm guessing my roos did a great job cause the girls have been safe. When I pull up in the driveway and none come running it saddens me, but I know the hawks will move on because they cant get free food now. I let them out little before dark to give them some time out, the hawks are heading back to nest I guess. Its the only time I don't see them.

I'm so sorry for your loss...

I was outside twice when a large hawk tried to get at my hens. The first time he dive-bombed one of them I saw it, screamed obscenities (not very lady-like) at the hawk and he flew off.

The second time, I watched as the hens all suddenly went still as stone when one of them, Ruby, began making this high-pitched, even sound unlike anything I've ever heard. I looked up and saw the hawk in the tree. Then the hens quickly ran for the coop.

Both hawk appearances happened in the morning hours. So I kept them inside till mid afternoon for several days, and so far anyway (thank God), haven't seen the hawk.

Last edited:
I understand the Federal protection for hawks, years ago when their numbers were so low....but it's just not the case anymore, we have a hawk issue, almost year round these days, Redtails, and Coopers. I swear, they've lost any fear of people, we have a persistant Red tail, he'll walk the top perimeter of our covered run, looking for a way in....run him off, and he's back in a half hour or so....really freaks my girls out when he does that

You need a good outside dog....and that hawk won't be so comfy. My dog would send him packing.
lol....my wife is "secretly" picking me out a great Pyrenees for my birthday in March...I'm not supposed to know ;)
She found some locally that are socialized with goats, horses, cattle and chickens as pups, and since she has nigerian goats, it should be a good fit

lol....my wife is "secretly" picking me out a great Pyrenees for my birthday in March...I'm not supposed to know ;)
She found some locally that are socialized with goats, horses, cattle and chickens as pups, and since she has nigerian goats, it should be a good fit

NICE!
big_smile.png
They are great dogs.

Didn't know you could let the hens free range in the evening. Great idea. I could put the dogs in the house and let the girls out for a half hour or so. Do they go into the coop on their own like they do in their yard? I think we will get netting and "stripe" the area - not cover the whole thing as it is quite large but maybe if we put strips across, it will deter the hawk. We had our first hawk swoop right down into the girls' yard this morning - this will not happen again! The girls did gather together and run into the coop - smart cookies!!

Do you think that if we run 3' wide chicken wire (poultry netting) across the area, could we leave one foot between the lengths of wire or do we have to completely cover the whole area?

Back
Top Bottom