Hawks :(

I had a hawk attacking my largest hen a few days ago, but the hen was twice the size of the hawk. I was only a few feet away too. It was the strangest thing.

I've found that if you let them free range every day the predators quickly learn where to go every day for a meal. The coyotes and hawks attack daily by day 7 if I have my birds out for a week straight. So I keep them in the closed run for 3 days a week. Seems to be enough time that the predators no longer make their daily stops here first.

Ugh - lost two silver-laced wyandottes to an enterprising hawk in the last three days. Feathers everywhere. We've lost hens before, usually about one every 18 months or so. This is the first killing spree we've had, and normally our hens free-range every day. I'm taking this approach:

1. Keep the hens in the coop (there's plenty of room) until Saturday morning
2. Saturday morning I go hawk-hunting with a wrist-rocket
3. Consider putting up a scarecrow ?

I'm wondering if this is a migrating hawk or a permanent resident? I live near Seattle.

I also learned the hard way that your being in the yard with them doesn't deter a hungry hawk. That's why I'm dubious that anyone's scarecrow would be effective.

I didn't mention... my scarecrow will shoot laser beams out of its eyes to melt predators.
Must have gotten that one from an army surplus store.
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom