Hawks :(

A few days ago (on the last nicest day we've had so far this year), I had JUST put my turkey, and chickens into their coops. Actually, it was just after I put the LAST of my ducks into their outside "yard" (completely enclosed by chicken wire). While I was watching them, I saw them look UP - in that cute sideways "way" that they do. There was a bald eagle. It was low enough that I could see it very well. The girls were very quiet, and the drake carried on for a bit. It seemed like that eagle circled for 5 minutes, although it was probably only 90 seconds. I stood there, right next to my ladies, watching too. It flew off. How beautiful and glorious they can be. When they are NOT eating my pets.
smile.png
They are beautiful. One thing that I've done is put a bird feeder on the other side of my property. It attracts lots of dove, which is a favorite meal for the hawks in my area. That tends to keep the hawks over on that side away from my chickens by giving them another place to hunt for easy prey. I try not to pay too much attention to the feathers laying around the bird feeder when I refill it.

idunno.gif

They are beautiful. One thing that I've done is put a bird feeder on the other side of my property. It attracts lots of dove, which is a favorite meal for the hawks in my area. That tends to keep the hawks over on that side away from my chickens by giving them another place to hunt for easy prey. I try not to pay too much attention to the feathers laying around the bird feeder when I refill it.

idunno.gif

That is an excellent idea and really using your noggin...wish more folks could think in that abstract way to solve problems. It's a natural problem and you solved in a natural way. Kudos!

idunno.gif

Heheh this is why I have bird feeders in my back yard. (sorry I totally root for the hawks)

We built a square box out of PVC pipe and covered it with plastic wire leaving the bottom open,I pull it up to the chicken run,they come running in then I pull it to a spot And let them graze awhile then pull it to another spot, it's a little more aggravation ,but they get fresh grass their run stays cleaner, and are protected from the hawks. So far so good

We built a square box out of PVC pipe and covered it with plastic wire leaving the bottom open,I pull it up to the chicken run,they come running in then I pull it to a spot And let them graze awhile then pull it to another spot, it's a little more aggravation ,but they get fresh grass their run stays cleaner, and are protected from the hawks. So far so good
We have 2 of the same type of contraptions, my husband made up for us last year after the hawk ate one of our ducks. We have a square one, and a rectangular one. They work great, except for right now, we've been keeping our ducks in them. They are big enough that I can fit smaller kiddie pools in, and there is still room for the ducks to move around (lots of room to kill the grass and make mud). My chickens just get to come out while I'm moving everyone around. It IS a lot more work, but I don't mind it.
smile.png
My chickens will get to enjoy grass later this year when it starts to grow again. Our yard is really muddy now. It's been a little wetter than normal here. Plus, when my chickens go out in the morning, the only things they seem to care about (currently) is the mulch and the gravel. They either want bugs or to take a dust bath in whats left of the 5/8- gravel we got last year?!

Tractors are a great way to allow mobile foraging and still keep them safe. Great idea!

Does anyone have a picture of one of these set ups? I am having trouble visualizing. I had 13 Bantams. Have a coop with a covered run, but have always let them out for 1-2 hours morning and evening. Last night a hawk swooped in around 7 p.m. I heard the commotion but didn't get there soon enough. He killed our sweetest, most gentle little hen. I am still so upset and mad at myself for not protecting them better. They have not gotten out to free range at all today. I would like to try something like you are talking about so I can let them out safely again.

Thanks for any input.

So sorry about your hen, I hate that I can't let my chickens out to free range anymore, we were so happy for a while, It's so hard losing one especially the favorites,I have a sweet friendly little hen She likes me better than the chickens,always runs to me and let's me pet her,I'm so afraid something is going to get her.:(

Back
Top Bottom