Hay or straw in run or neither for winter?

I have a multipurpose sand in the run right now and it works out pretty well but I'm wondering if I should put hay or straw in the run for the winter months any ideas or suggestions?
I put all the leaves from my yard in the coop and run, next spring, they are crunched up, fertilized and ready to go to the garden!! Last year I finally have a new garden/run area that is used to grow veggies all spring summer and fall then I turn the hens in on the leaves and by spring, they have made great compost right where I need it!

I have a multipurpose sand in the run right now and it works out pretty well but I'm wondering if I should put hay or straw in the run for the winter months any ideas or suggestions?
I am trying to decide the same. I put some straw in there to give them something to do (the ones that dont free range.) Also so eventually (I add more every other day) it will retain some heat. My runs are dry and covered, and Im in southern Ontario so same temps as you I assume. Fall leaves would be good too but I feed those to my goats.

I can't say because I live in a swamp . Here where I live it's cold and wet , I have to put down # 57 gravel about 6" deep then my hay on top . That allows for drainage so the hay don't stay wet . I have snow here now .
I was going to say the same thing! I wonder if we live in the same swamp? The Great black swamp?

NY here as well and we live in very wet area so free wood chips are our best friend. We tried hay originally and it did get extremely nasty and I thought "Eh just keep piling it on!" What a mess to clean in spring.

I live in the Hudson Valley in NY; when we got some snow the other day, I placed leaves in their coop. It cut down on the smell and gives them something to peck through. I should say I have them in a run only. They do not free-range since I live right on a busy road.

Where do you live abouts? Super depends on your temps.

Where I am, hay or straw in the run would mat up get nasty and stinky.

Hay is great in the coop where it is dry.

Back
Top Bottom