Hay or Straw?

I've found it at local gardening/landscaping businesses.  I have bought a 5-gallon bucket full for $2, and I think they sell it by the load, also.  The rice hulls are great as a soil amendment to break up heavy clay soil, so it would make great garden compost after your chickens are through with it.

Thanks. I'm going to see if they are available locally here. The price sure seems good. I used leaves all through winter for them. So grateful my DD has many trees and 3 of my grandkids to do the raking!!! Oh, and they delivered them too! Ah, yes life is good!:yesss:

I use hay because it's super cheap for me right now. That's what happens when you have sweet neighbors. I have a problem with weeds anyway, so it doesn't bother me. Chances are the chickens will peck the weeds down quicker than I will!
gig.gif

I use hay because it's super cheap for me right now. That's what happens when you have sweet neighbors. I have a problem with weeds anyway, so it doesn't bother me. Chances are the chickens will peck the weeds down quicker than I will! :gig

Cheap is good. I love cheap. Weeds don't bother me. In the words of A.A. Milne, "Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them.":p

Back
Top Bottom