Hay or wood chips

Barbill1

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 24, 2011
Hey folks. Can anyone tell me which is better. Hay or chips. Have hay on the ground and in their laying boxes. They seem to make places to sit during the day on the ground but go to roost every night. Does it make a difference? Heard hay might give them mites. Please advise

welcome-byc.gif
I personally use and would only use pine shavings

Quote:
X2! Pine shavings are my personal choice. Hay and straw are a friendly inviorment to mites and can cause impacted crop if eaten.
Welcome to BYC!

Quote:
X2! Pine shavings are my personal choice. Hay and straw are a friendly inviorment to mites and can cause impacted crop if eaten.
Welcome to BYC!

X3

Hay will also harbor mold. I tried straw once in winter due to being so much cheaper to get a really nice thick layer. It worked well until a couple hens started laying in home made nest on the floor, lol. They could fluff it up so much that they made little burrows and laid there. So back to pine flakes I went.

yeah..i had that issue at first. I tried it with hay and had a mite problem and so I had to clean everything out and spray it down. Now I use pine shavings for both flooring and nesting boxes and no problems plus it smells better! Although I do have the issue at times of them laying on the floor. -_-

I use pine shavings as well. It's on the coop floor, nesting boxes and on their poop boards. Works great and smells great. However they do like timohty hay and alfalfa to scratch around in.

Back
Top Bottom