Hay storage for backyard nigerian dwarf goats

BCMominMD

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Southern Md
I'm trying to figure out how to keep two nigerian dwarf goats in my very large suburban backyard. I've figured a place for the shed (may be another amish shed 8 x 12?) and there's room to fence in a nice big exercise area. The chickens have their own 8x10 shed w/nice safe run for when we aren't home. The garage is already overflowing with my husbands stuff - sometimes we can't even fit the car in! So where do I store enough hay for them? And is it going to be too heavy for me to lug around? I can just manage lifting a 50 lb bag of Layena crumbles into the garbage can container. What do other backyard goat owners do? I'd love to see pictures.

Could you get one of those little barn looking sheds with a half loft? You would need help getting the hay up there for storage, but it's pretty easy to pull down. Just stand back!

My husband built a shelf (the width of the shed) in the goat house itsself... (i think he just used plywood)
The goats wernt really tall enough to reach the shelf... so he put a bale or 2 up there and their bucket of feed...

Any idea how many bales I would be looking at -ballpark of course I know it depends on lots of things- for 2 small goats without access to pasture. Could you fit that much in an 8x12x?3ft area? Does anyone buy hay monthly?

I'm not sure how much hay you would need in a year since I have a lot of animals that I feed hay but you will have to buy for the year. Most farmers want their hay sold as quick as possible and will sell out. If you can find someone who will store the hay for you, that would be good. Otherwise, plan on storing it yourself.

I'm going to guess around 50 bales of hay since they will have no pasture. Of course that depends on the size of the bale. You are better off to have too much than too little. Depending on where you are, it can be hard to find hay after winter.

Some farmers will hold hay for you if you pay for it up front. Then, pick it up as needed. You will still want a couple of extra bales at your place so you don't completely run out if the weather gets bad or the farmer is away. Check around with some nearby farms.

Thanks guys.
All good input.
I swear you can learn how to do anything if you just keep reading BYC:)
smile.png

We fit 5-6 bales in a mini-loft that is about 4' x 8'. For 2 ND's, you should only use about 2-3 flakes per day, so 5 bales could potentially last you a few weeks. Nigi's are so short that your loft can be about 6' off the ground, and they shouldn't be able to get in it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom