Breeding Nigerian dwarf goats.

Thank you for posting these questions. I learned a lot. My buck is not as nice as yours so I do separate them for long periods to give the girls plenty of space and time between pregnancies.

Good morning!
I am reading about breeding my goats and have some questions that are not completely answered.

“If she is currently milking, you will need to dry her off at least 2 months before kidding, if not more.”

Does this mean that even though the kids are weaned and removed from the area of the does, it is possible to continue milking the does?

And that I should wait two months before breeding again?

Or that the doe can be continued to be milked even while pregnant and I should stop milking two months before the kids are due to dry her milk?

I’ve kept my buck together with my does after they are pregnant and he was sweet and nice with everyone. Why should he be separated from the herd?

I understand that he should be separated from the does close to kidding time but all the time? Why?

Herds of goats in the wild are not separated. Even the kids stay in the herd until the young bucks are driven away by the alpha buck.

It’s been more than 3 months since the kids were born. They were almost weaned immediately by their moms and the kids were rehomed to good owners more than a month ago. I did wait two months before rehoming the kids. I stopped milking the does about two months ago. During that period I have kept the does and kids separate from the buck since kidding. Can I put them together now?

Hansel, the buck, has been separated now from his does since September when the kids were born. Goats are herd animals and I know he is not happy being alone. Psychologically it has to be affecting him. Every time I feed him, I can see he is not happy and he keeps ramming the iron fence.

I like to keep my animals happy and allow them to do what comes naturally in their breed. I keep other animals, chickens, turkeys and geese and they all free range all day, seem happy and do what’s natural for them. How can I achieve that point with my Nigerian dwarf goats?

Thank you for your help. All input is welcome. I’ve read so much about goats that I am confused. I love my pets, they get regular vet check ups and I want them to thrive in all ways!
If some of the kids are doelings, keep them separated from the buck. On occasion kids can get bred and conceive at very early ages. I had one little doe kid at less that eight months of age, which meant she was three months old when she got bred. I don't know who was more surprised, me or her.

If some of the kids are doelings, keep them separated from the buck. On occasion kids can get bred and conceive at very early ages. I had one little doe kid at less that eight months of age, which meant she was three months old when she got bred. I don't know who was more surprised, me or her.
Thank you. I am aware of the importance of allowing young does around Hansel. 🙏🤗

Thank you everyone for all your advice! I’ve learned a lot from this post! And the difference between wild heards and domesticated one (NDG) is that in the wild they breed seasonal. Domesticated ones like ND are not therefore they do need to be separated to allow the does a breather between pregnancies. Hansel will be getting an extra large area of his own for those times when they need to be separated. Maybe, I will get him a friend, a wether to keep him company. Other times while the does are pregnant they will get to roam as a group in their pasture. And milking is not an issue here since I didn’t acquire for milk production.

Again thank you all for your help. This is a great group and very grateful! 🙏❤️🤗

Great post!!! Thank you all! Going to join BYH now! We have 3 female Nigerian Dwarf goats and our buck, Wade. We got him back in September and mid October let him with the girls. He’s went crazy at first all flirting with them saying “whhhaaaaattt” to them all the time now I’m pretty confident all 3 are pregnant and we’ve let Wade stay with them because he’s so mellow and sweet to his girls. We will separate him probably beginning of March.

Great post!!! Thank you all! Going to join BYH now! We have 3 female Nigerian Dwarf goats and our buck, Wade. We got him back in September and mid October let him with the girls. He’s went crazy at first all flirting with them saying “whhhaaaaattt” to them all the time now I’m pretty confident all 3 are pregnant and we’ve let Wade stay with them because he’s so mellow and sweet to his girls. We will separate him probably beginning of March.
Best to do it right close to kidding time. Good luck. They are really fun to watch!

Thank you everyone for all your advice! I’ve learned a lot from this post! And the difference between wild heards and domesticated one (NDG) is that in the wild they breed seasonal. Domesticated ones like ND are not therefore they do need to be separated to allow the does a breather between pregnancies. Hansel will be getting an extra large area of his own for those times when they need to be separated. Maybe, I will get him a friend, a wether to keep him company. Other times while the does are pregnant they will get to roam as a group in their pasture. And milking is not an issue here since I didn’t acquire for milk production.

Again thank you all for your help. This is a great group and very grateful! 🙏❤️🤗
I bred and owned standard sized dairy goats for decades. I have never bred nor owned ND's so what I have to say may or may not apply to them. The comment about the difference between wild and domestic goats puzzles me. Dairy goats are seasonal breeders. They start coming in heat in September (sometimes in August) and cycle through February (occasionally March). They start coming into heat so many days after the longest day. Breeds of goats that originate in areas near the equator, where periods of light and darkness are more or less equal year-round, are more likely to breed year-round than the Swiss breeds like Alpines, Saanens, Toggenburgs, LaManchas, etc. Breeds that originate near the tropics like Nubians, Pygmies, Boers, and Nigerians are more likely to breed out of season. Wild vs domestic has nothing to do with it. The amount of daylight vs darkness does.

Just a comment. If you are not interested in milk, wouldn't you be better off with a Pygmy than a Nigerian? Nigerians are dairy goats, albeit small ones, but Pygmies are not. Getting a wether to keep your buck company is a good idea. You said something about running the buck with the pregnant does. Be sure to take him out when they start kidding. Bucks often confuse a doe that has just given birth with a doe in heat. They will chase her and try to breed her. The doe neither wants nor needs this kind of attention at this time.

Back
Top Bottom