Hay/straw vs sand??? Sorry longer post than intended!

Pine shavings are not bad for chickens (cedar is different -- the same oils that deter bugs irritate lungs).

Straw is just as dusty and *can* offer a refuge for mites, etc.

The best security against dust isn't the choice of a particular bedding but excellent ventilation in the coop. :)
Good ventilation! Got it! 🙂

to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found
Yep you are correct about the crappy pre fab coup!! I added 6 nesting boxes on the opposite end of my run, this is where the chickens prefer to sleep. I am in the process of having an actual walk in coup built....I just need my husband to go out of town for a couple days to do this, he said I can't spend any more money on the chickens 😫 I do let my chickens out in my yard daily. Thank you for all the information! I just want to have a happy healthy flock! It sounds like I just need to try a couple different things in all the areas until I get it right! I will definitely be working on making my run bigger for now, I secretly designed it in a way where I can easily add on cause I knew I would want more😆

Agreed, mine only every get wet and gross when I have to move the water inside the coop for a storm instead of in the run. Pine shavings are very absorbent.
Thank you!! I didn't mean to go into all that, but I felt like I had to give the background 😆 I'm worried about when it rains, that will definitely give me a better idea of what keeps it dry!

Straw.
Pine shavings are too dusty and bad for their respiratory system and will give the sniffles and runny nostrils. Others will disagree but trust what I say
I don't disagree because I'm too new to know better, but I did learn their are generally 2 types of pine shavings sold at Tractor Supply and Rural King. Buy the FLAKE type. White bag at TSC. I ended up with the wrong kind as I was at Rural King and didn't want to drive 20 min more to TSC. It was wayyyyy wayyyy more dusty. :)

I use sand in the run. The run is scooped out daily as is the coop.
Deep PDZ with a sprinkling of straw in the coop.
My preference is to also add dried flowers and herbs to their nests and coop floor. It’s very easy to scoop out and smells fresh and clean. I used to use only straw in the coop but recently changed to the above. So far it has been nice and as easy as the straw. I’ll add a photo below.

Attachments

• C8683EF7-72DD-4254-9613-5F607C4220E5.jpeg
    C8683EF7-72DD-4254-9613-5F607C4220E5.jpeg
    515.8 KB · Views: 5
  • FDF4E800-56E7-46E7-A0B5-1018EFA3B9FA.jpeg
    FDF4E800-56E7-46E7-A0B5-1018EFA3B9FA.jpeg
    533.6 KB · Views: 5
I use sand in the run. The run is scooped out daily as is the coop.
Deep PDZ with a sprinkling of straw in the coop.
My preference is to also add dried flowers and herbs to their nests and coop floor. It’s very easy to scoop out and smells fresh and clean. I used to use only straw in the coop but recently changed to the above. So far it has been nice and as easy as the straw. I’ll add a photo below.
Well that looks pretty! I've hung rosemary in their boxes, but my hens aren't laying yet.

Back
Top Bottom