Hay substitutes/alternatives? Trying not to spend to much$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

azure_

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
Western Massachusetts
I am extremely interested in getting some goats next year and am wondering what are some cheaper things that serve the same purpose as hay? They will of course have hay too🙂.

I am extremely interested in getting some goats next year and am wondering what are some cheaper things that serve the same purpose as hay? They will of course have hay too🙂.
You plan on getting feed and minerals also, right? Do you have space for them to graze/browse? I only fed hay in the months there was nothing to graze and kept feed and minerals at all times. Other than good "browse" - bushes, trees they can reach branches on and weeds, I don't know what could be used instead of hay.

You plan on getting feed and minerals also, right? Do you have space for them to graze/browse? I only fed hay in the months there was nothing to graze and kept feed and minerals at all times. Other than good "browse" - bushes, trees they can reach branches on and weeds, I don't know what could be used instead of hay.
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned I'm working on a pasture and they will have goat food and minerals available. What are some of the best "browse trees"?

Do some research and see what's recommended. I would hate to steer you wrong. I can tell you that they will pretty much clear out brush and scrub trees. I don't know what would be the most preferred if you were planting stuff for them. Good luck! I loved raising goats - they are like big puppies - always wanting attention!!!

Do some research and see what's recommended. I would hate to steer you wrong. I can tell you that they will pretty much clear out brush and scrub trees. I don't know what would be the most preferred if you were planting stuff for them. Good luck! I loved raising goats - they are like big puppies - always wanting attention!!!
I'm researching it now! I'll think I'll love them too!

well.... what if I'm useing the berry patch for berries?
There is that......

We have blackberries around here that anyone would LOVE to have a critter that will keep them eaten down.
My neighbors are jealous that I don’t have a single vine on my place. Little do they know I spend 3-4 hours a week making sure it stays that way.

Back
Top Bottom