Hay?

animallover72491

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 24, 2009
Hi, I'm new here and enjoying browsing your website. I have searched this on the web and keep finding different answers. I read online that some people give their pet chickens pelleted hay (like made for rabbits). Is this safe? I have a rabbit, so I have a lot of these pellets around and would love to give some to my chickens if it is okay to do so. They have both alfalfa and timothy hay mixed into the tiny pellets. Thank you very much!!!

I have chickens living in the shed with all the rabbit cages, and know for a fact that my chickens love to eat the pellets that the rabbits drop. I don't see why it would be a problem, and haven't lost any birds due to it over the last year...
idunno.gif
I would think it would be good for them to get some greenery that way, especially over the winter when there's no grass to eat.

Husband when we were farming and hobby farming, would buy a bale of alfalfa and put a wedge or square in the coop. Said it would relace thegreenery they get in the growing season. Pellets would work too.

Back
Top Bottom