Hazel had an egg accident

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsejody, Sep 22, 2008.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Hazel is a black JG and has finally started to lay. When I went into the coop this morning she jumped off the perch, and when she landed an egg fell out of her butt. I think it was her first egg, and she was quite surprised. Of course it broke. Then she saw the pretty yellow yolk and started to eat it. I took it away because I don't want that habit to start.

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Bless her heart! I know she was a bit startled but she'll do okay from now on, I'm sure.
    How old is she?

3. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    [​IMG] Sorry to laugh, but a couple of my girls had similar issues when they started laying. Over the first few weeks I occasionally found eggs on the droppings board from where they slipped out unannounced to the startled hen. It didn't seem to phase them. We even had one drop out an egg when she hopped up onto the deck railing. I think she thought it was just a big poop because she didn't even turn to look at it; just continued walking down the railing. Never had any eat the eggs, though. They'll get the laying under control with a bit of experience. Silly girls. [​IMG]

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:She turned 6 months old on Sept 13th (yes, I know their birthdays).

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    In the beginning when my girls started laying they layed soft eggs while on their roosts. I didn't clean them out right away. Later in the day when I went to fetch them they were gone so the birds must have ate them. Lucky me they haven't tried anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by