HE CAME UP ON MY PORCH!!!

Killing a raccoon is the only way to get rid of it, raccoons will take chickens during daylight hours as well. I wish you luck catching it they are extremely smart.

At about minute 3 there is a short tutorial on how to dispatch a coon while giving him a 'sporting' chance.
enjoy the video... y'awl.
0.jpg

LOL I do not want to give it a sporting chance and I am not going to climb a tree to give the darn thing a chance, not even with 20 dogs. LOL

My sister uses marshmallows! She lives on the outskirts of Norfolk and has a constant stream of raccoons visiting her coop!
Are her chickens safe? What safe-guards does she use?

About all I can do for mine right now is to lock them in the coop but it wasn't meant to hold about 80-90 chickens, guineas, ducks and geese. I had hoped the little ones, bantam Cochins and others as small as they, would be safe in a pen right next to our front porch but he pulled one out through the fence, and the light was on!!

Wet cat food works well in traps.
We haven't tried the marshmallows in the trap but cat food, canned tuna, left over chicken he has killed and I don't remember what else. He is a big guy and I think it is possible that one of the times we found the trap tripped that he almost got caught and won't go in again. On the other hand, we keep catching the cats and kittens around here. They don't seem to learn to stay out of it and we do put food out for them but they are like gluttons, can't get enough.

She keeps the trap(s) set 24/7/365. For a while she was averaging 3 a week. Mid summer to fall is when she catches most. In the winter is when she catches the biggest ones. She says the chickens are as safe as she can make them. I have never seen her set-up.

She keeps the trap(s) set 24/7/365. For a while she was averaging 3 a week. Mid summer to fall is when she catches most. In the winter is when she catches the biggest ones. She says the chickens are as safe as she can make them. I have never seen her set-up.
Wow! I know they have to breed and that means there is a male and a female around, at least for a while. Then the babies need to hunt but the staff at the feed store that doesn't carry the wrist trap, told us that the only hang around singly. Have you seen any of those videos where a bunch of them got caught in a trash bin and couldn't get out until someone put a ladder in it? Singly? My foot!

They travel around singly after they reach maturity. But, they all eat at the same places. If the video was longer, you would see that most of them wandered off in different directions.

That dumpster would have made the perfect trap.... I can guarantee ALL of those coons would have gone to coon h e l l if that dumpster had been on my property!!!

They travel around singly after they reach maturity. But, they all eat at the same places. If the video was longer, you would see that most of them wandered off in different directions.

That dumpster would have made the perfect trap.... I can guarantee ALL of those coons would have gone to coon h e l l if that dumpster had been on my property!!!
I don't if I could have sent them to their heaven or he[[ before the last 8-9 months but now is a different time.

Back
Top Bottom