He CROWS!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ridgefire, Jun 23, 2008.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Finally it only took him almost 11 weeks to find his voice. But the last 2 mornings now when I go out and open the coop for the day he crows to me. Its still that teenage squeaky voice but he is trying.

Hard to believe a grown man would be so excited about hearing a rooster crow. I am in the group that loves hearing a rooster crow, always have, even before I owned my own.

On a side note I didn't realize how many people in my area have roosters. The other morning when I got home from work at 6 am, I let the birds out for the day. I was just sitting there watching them when just a few houses down I heard a rooster crow, then behind me I heard another rooster crow. It was like they were having a contest. Then all of the sudden I hear this squeaky, trying super hard crow, come from my run. I guess all it took was for the neighbors to get him started.

I do have a question. Why does a rooster's crow carry so far?

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Mony roos do need "lessons" from older roosters before they get the urge to start singing themselves.
    I don't know why the sound carries so far - but I'm sure it must have had some evolutionary advantage at some point (it sure isn't advantageous to them now, though - I think the crowing leads a lot of them to the stew pot!).

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    That's so awesome!!! I remember the first time I heard our rooster crow, I was all freakin out and so excited!!!! We have 2 roos, so I wasn't sure which one was crowing, but I found out that it was my Mottled Houdan that was crowing, not my barred rock. My BR is 17 weeks old now, and still hasn't crowed. I think he's gender confused!!! LOL!!! Congrats!!!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats! My one roo has been crowing for a week or two now and I absolutely adore it. Of course, at first it was hard to tell whether he was choking to death or crowing, but he's getting better at it every day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by