He flogged DH one time too many...

noodleroo

Snuggles with Chickens
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Rockport, Tx
Finally.

I decided that I wanted to be rooster-less for certain last month when my SLW roo started his dominance stuff with my granddaughter. She thought it was funny but for me, it was the icing on the cake. I felt like he was just too rough with the ladies (pulling out feathers, grabbing their combs and standing on them for a long time 'afterwards') anyway. Patsy, our collie, even started looking both ways before she went out to potty. I never intended to keep a roo in the backyard but he was really pretty so I thought we give it a try. DH had said he'd wait until this month so that all his feathers were in with no pin feathers. DH has done a lot of bird taxidermy and thought he'd be prretty as a mount (not in my house, by the way). Anyway, we were moving the pheasant coop this morning and the roo flogged DH for the last time. Today was the day; good as any as far as I'm concerned.

It's so peaceful in the backyard again...
celebrate.gif

Good for you! I bet it is a lot more peaceful now.
D.gif
At least now you won't have to worry about being attacked by a killer bird anymore
wee.gif

You know, he was a packing peanut from Ideal along with 9 more little SLW cockrels. I never intended to keep a roo so I didn't take time to tame them like the pullets. We were sending them to freezer camp anyway. When DH took the others to our other property about 3 miles away to be with the other chickens, he couldn't catch one - this one. As time went on, I thought that I might keep him because he was so pretty; he wasn't wild, he never flogged me and he was pretty good at noticing birds flying overhead. But as the girls got older and his little roo hormones started kicking in, he wasn't 'gentlemanly' enough for my liking. Last night, I heard one of the little pullets (about 3 months old) having a fit, went outside and he was attempting to mate her. She was terrified. I removed him gently with my foot and picked her up and cuddled her. I swear, she was telling me all about it in sad little chirps and peeps. When DH got home, I told him about it and said 'its time'. Today's flogging couldn't have come at a better time...

I had the same problem with one, he went after my GD. It was a little funny because she came in the house and was out of breath. I ask what was she doing and she said running around the house. After a while she told me the roo had been chasing her. So the roo left in the next couple of days. I put an add in the paper and explained what he was doing but the people said they needed one and no kids so he went with them.

Some times you have to do what you have to do.
wink.png

So peaceful this morning....I'm happy for those of you that are happy with your roos, but I sure am glad mine is gone...

I am still on the fence about my roo. I really liked having strictly female flocks, but I got a surprise in my sexed pullets this past spring. I can completely understand where you are coming from. Boys have their uses, but it is so much more peaceful without them.

Guess I've been lucky with roos -- though I bought a bunch one year for the freezer so had plenty to choose from. Saddest loss I've had was a BA roo with a crooked toe. I don't much mourn them, they are entertaining livestock to me, and I rarely name one, but this one we called Broke Toe. Gave his life for his girls. The present two are quite gentlemanly to people and hens alike, and they are gorgeous.

But when they attack a grandkid, or even an adult, or make the hens complain -- they go. Right now.

I have a BO who hunts down #2 roo and squats for him when #1 isn't looking. Tickles me.

Quote:
Sometimes (not always) that is true in the human world too.
lau.gif

I saw this bumper sticker one time and it kinda applies here:

'If it has tires or testicles, you're going to have trouble with it..."

Back
Top Bottom