He is still a Roo right. Or is he a hen that tricked me? pics

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
30964_img_2409.jpg

30964_img_2413.jpg

I posted about this boy having a prolapsed vent, but I cannot find that happening in roos. I read its caused by lack of calcium so I guess I could give the boys calcium too but maybe he isn't a boy and should be with the girls. I was sure the 3 of them were boys but if this one is a girl the others are too. What do I have here. Br roo or hen.

well soo I don't know what to say. I told the kids not to get attatched cause these are dinner and bought more hens. sigh So I guess that whole prolasped vent thing I can just go based on what they said for hens. gottcha

I posted about the vent thingie https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4326227#p4326227 but had it labeled as a Roo. I have been searching for an hour on roo's and vents.

He/She is roughly 11 to 12 weeks old. I have had them just over 10 weeks and they were not day olds.

Last edited:
Well, this is the type that is hard to call because it could be a male with a slightly underdeveloped comb (I think I see stringy saddle feathers off the back of it) or a lighter colored female with a slightly larger than normal comb. My 17 week old BRs don't have combs that large and red. I've have had males who had smaller than usual combs, but the color in the plumage and comb says male, IF it's really only about 11-12 weeks old now. Recheck that age, though.

Back
Top Bottom