He WILL NOT EAT! Grrrrrrrrr !

blue fire

Crowing
14 Years
May 2, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
I was feeding my dog gravy train along with his dry dog food and had to stop using gravy train because it gave him gas. He now will not eat his dry food until he is absolutely starving which is every 2 days. Anything I can buy to add to his food so he will eat it? I have tried that gravy stuff you add to the food to make it taste better, but apparently it does not make food taste better, or I have a very picky dog. I think it is the latter. I have not found a canned dog food that does not cause gas yet..... Picky and sensitive stomach I feel like I am trying to please the Queen of England! (god bless her)
barnie.gif

Well..you could switch to a different dry food brand. My dogs certainly prefer some dry brands to others...and even certain flavors among the same brands. Until then, you could try drizzling a little chicken broth (sold in cartons/cans) over his food to tempt him more. A can of broth would last you more than a week I'd think. Sometimes to "spice up" my dogs food, I put a tiny amount of cat food in with their food (they LOVE cat food). But my male dog will get gas no matter what I feed him.
hmm.png
He farts and burps more than any man I've ever known...
roll.png

I believe in tough love when it comes to dogs and eating. I'm not coddling to finicky tastes. Put the dog food down for 10 minutes. If he doesn't eat, take it up until the next scheduled feeding time. No treats in between. He'll learn to eat what's in his dish pretty quick. Good luck.

What is his breed and age?

I also have a fussy eater. Often he goes a day or 2 between feedings depending on the time of year. I will mix some cooked hamburger in with his food at times.

His teeth seem fine when he has a bone in his face
roll.png
He is 9 and he has always been like this. He is a German Shepard, Chow, Golden Retriever mix. Never thought about the hot dinner....

LOL! Aren't dogs funny! Just like kids with veggies when you take away the "good stuff" (to them!)....
lol.png

OK - now that I have had my laugh (cause yours is like my dogs!) let me make a few suggestions....
First - HE WILL NOT STARVE... dogs are picky but they will eat when they need too! Kind of like people! Now as to what you can do... yes you could add an egg, or soup stock or bacon grease or any other thing people use to entice him - but it may not be best for him with his "condition". And with this condition - giving him rich additives may even cause his issue to worsen into a bigger issue like collitus. So my advice is to go to the old vet recommended standby of a bland boiled chicken & rice. Boil some chicken & remove the bones & skin. Pour small bits of meat & broth over cooked rice & freeze in small single serving bags. Heat up the single servings when you feed him to pour over the dry kibble you are now using.... over time use less & less of the chicken & rice until he accepts the new food... but be prepared - he may only eat the ckn/rice! LOL - The good thing is that if you can't wean him of the ckn/rice - you can feed it to him as a regular diet....... Lots of luck to you! We feel your pain - been there! In our case my DW's small senior dog did just that - loved the ckn/rice & ate it instead of the kibble for her remaining life span of 3 years! She passed at 17 yo. Of course I was jealous of the dog.... DW cooked for her before she cooked for me!!! LOL!!

Back
Top Bottom