Head bobbing, lethargic, eyes closed...what's wrong?

croakingtoad

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2017
Pittsboro, NC
So I have a chicken who 4-5 days ago looked sick (droopy wings and tail). We weight our chicken about once a month to watch for worm infections, and she's lost 1.25 pounds (4.5 pound is her normal weight). I gave her a deworming pill (Fenbendazole) which usually works like a charm with our chickens when they get an overactive worm infection, but she has declined into a state of extreme lethargy (basically lays down with her head flopped on the ground and eyes closed), and when she's more alert, her head bobs up and down, almost like she has wry neck but not.

We've been using syringes to feed her (beef, and acorn squash baby food), and water her as she's not really feeding herself. Her crop seems to fill up and empty, she is going to the bathroom, it's very watery. I'm also giving her Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes in her water we're feeding her.

The last 3 days she hasn't seemed to get any better, but also not worse.

Here's a short video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QthSRNZrScCw7SMu5

The head bobbing doesn't last long because I just fed her and that wipes her out (from what little energy she does have). Attached photo is just to show how she's laying with her head tilted to one side, eyes closed.

Thoughts on what might be wrong?

Attachments

• PXL_20210304_200259398.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210304_200259398.MP.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 169
Literally 100 things can cause lethargy in chickens. Poisons/toxins, disease, parasites, you name it.
Weight loss suggests something in the digestive system. Dehydration and lack of food would be a concern but she should pick up after you feed her. And if crop fills and empties she is processing food. Plus she has been dewormed.
The head bobbing suggests to me neurological issues. Mareks is ALWAYS a possibility in backyard flocks. But poisoning from toxic plants (rare) or substances could be the culprit. As could infections.
Too many possibilities. Take it to a vet or consider euthanasia. It may be the most merciful route at this point. If you you do euthanuze it, consider a necropsy to ensure whatever the cause is not contagious.
I don't mean to be so frank or seem insensitive. I wish you the best of luck!

She's about a year old.

I've euthanized my fair share of chickens, so no worries on frankness! But normally it's when the chicken keeps declining, which she's been kind of stable the last few days, so I was/am hesitant to go that route if it was something fixable.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, she does open her eyes when I'm feeding her, and they seem clear. Pupils aren't dilated.

She's about a year old.

I've euthanized my fair share of chickens, so no worries on frankness! But normally it's when the chicken keeps declining, which she's been kind of stable the last few days, so I was/am hesitant to go that route if it was something fixable.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, she does open her eyes when I'm feeding her, and they seem clear. Pupils aren't dilated.
No "fizziness" in corner of eye?

A year should rule out Mareks. Not that she doesn't have it, but that she is just now becoming symptomatic. Usually a bird with MD that has survived the 1st 6mos will live a normal life for several years.

Back
Top Bottom