Head down, tail up--anyone seen this?

Castlewood

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
Austin, Texas
My Coop
My Coop
TL;DR: sick chicken who appeared overheated a week ago now heavy breathing with head in the ground, tail straight up. Pupils very large & undefined (obvs Mareks concern). Anyone seen this??

We've got a 5-5.5 month old Easter Egger (Tammy) looking very poorly lately. About a week ago, after multiple 105 degree days here in Central TX, she was suffering more than normal from the heat. (Our EEs in general tend to pant the heaviest on these hoooootttt summer days, even more than our Brahma. Today's high temp of mid-90s helped break what was looking to be a record-setting heatwave.) We put her in a bit of cool water, submerging her legs, and she stayed there for about 10 minutes before she hopped out; at one point she even laid to the side a bit, getting some water up under her wing. For a few days afterward, she was looking good.

The day of her "bath" we noticed Tammy's eyes looked funny (see photo) with the pupil very large and not well-defined at the edges. Post-bath she spent a few days looking spry and lively, totally normal, but now she's definitely NOT okay. She's breathing heavy, what we call "tail breathing"--you know, when the whole body seems to be inhaling/exhaling. Heaving, almost. Yesterday she started lying with her head buried down in the ground and her tail straight up (she lifted her head up for the photo below).

Because of Tammy's eyes, Mareks is obviously a concern. Early July, another same aged Buff Orpington died after exhibiting very similar symptoms, although she showed no eye issues, nor any sign of heatstroke; she progressed from fine to dead over about 36 hours. Last week we lost our favorite chicken due to aspergillosis, proven via necropsy from the wonderful folks at the Gonzales TX VMDL.

Well damn. Tammy actually just cried out, seized, and died. Sigh. I'll take her to the VMDL on Monday for a necropsy.

We're stumped, y'all. We keep a clean, fully shaded coop & run, have great ventilation from the nearly 100% hardware mesh construction, keep an industrial strength fan going day & night (see 100+ degree days), hemp bedding under the roost bars & we cover the fresh poop with new hemp 3-4 times/week, and our girls free range across our fully shaded 1/3 acre yard all day. We use feed tubes that hold about 3 weeks worth of food, keep electrolytes in water that's changed daily (often adding ice cubes), and give regular treats like watermelon, cantaloupe, and kale; one of the feed tubes holds mealworms they eat freely. My partner and I each have shoes on the porch that we wear only in the backyard & coop.

The majority of our babes that have passed (10 of 14) came from the same source, a local woman who had been recommended by others in our community. Two of the other four deaths were mature hens that died after bringing in our first batch from this local source; the other two came from a local feed store.

We've now got 2 new pullets (8-10 weeks old) + 8 new hatched chicks here--thankfully they're from a new source & have been vaccinated (Mareks, coccidia). We are making a few changes to our run to help with drainage, and are changing the feed tubes to hold only 1-2 weeks of food. We are really, really hopeful to turn things around and keep the rest of our chickies alive!!

Goodness, if you have any insight--either on what might have been going on with Tammy or what the heck might be going on with our flock in general, by all means please share. We are scratching our heads quite a lot over here.

IMG_20200822_181548.jpg
IMG_20200822_181554.jpg

So sorry for your loss. I am glad that you are going to get a necropsy to look for Mareks or another cause. She is at the right age for Mareks symptoms to occur. Do you have many other chickens in your area? Is Mareks common there? The dilated and irregular-shaped pupil could be a symptom. Sometimes the pupil is pinpoint and the iris can eventually turn grey in ocular Mareks, one of the 4 types of Mareks. Keep her body cold, but not frozen, and wrapped in 2 garbage bags in a cooler with ice or a refrigerator. Please let us know what the necropsy shows.

So sorry for your loss. I am glad that you are going to get a necropsy to look for Mareks or another cause. She is at the right age for Mareks symptoms to occur. Do you have many other chickens in your area? Is Mareks common there? The dilated and irregular-shaped pupil could be a symptom. Sometimes the pupil is pinpoint and the iris can eventually turn grey in ocular Mareks, one of the 4 types of Mareks. Keep her body cold, but not frozen, and wrapped in 2 garbage bags in a cooler with ice or a refrigerator. Please let us know what the necropsy shows.

Thanks. Since I saw her pass, we were able to wrap her up & put her in the fridge right away.

You mentioned she's the "right age" for Mareks symptoms to occur. I didn't realize there was an age to really look for these symptoms? So intrigued...Mareks is a mystery.

We've got several chicken keepers in our neighborhood, and live in a city where lots of people keep chickens. When I spoke with the doc at the VMDL he was of the opinion that in Central TX it's not "if" it's "when" Mareks hits your flock.

Aloha @Castlewood ,
First, I am so sorry for your losses. :hugs Never, never, never easy in my book, but especially hard when they are young and when you are not sure exactly why or if you could have prevented it.

So, forgive me but, I got a little confused... how many total birds lost in what time period?
And approx ages. Can you post photos of coop and run and poop? Always helpful.
If you have not called this breeder gal maybe you should. She may have heard from other people, had testing done or just needs to know so she can do what she needs to do.. NO ONE WANTS to sell sick birds, especially someone with a good rep. so PLEASE give her a call.

I am in a hot and humid area and because of Tammy's age I would be suspect of heat and POL. Has she been laying? And the other girls, where were they at? I'm also suspect of the age of feed and your one hen testing positive for aspergillosis. How similar were the symptoms?
Do you let your girls free range in the heat? I do, and I run a hose under a shady tree and that has worked out the best for cooling the girls down. Maybe even throw cold fruit so they hang and enjoy. I have lost girls in similar fashion, similar age but not more than one or 2 in a hot period and always at POL. It is a stressful time for sure.

Please keep us posted.

My post was confusing--so. much. info! We've only been keeping chickens for a year, so all 14 have been lost over the course of 12 months.

Ten of those 14 are from the same local source, which we bought in two different batches. We lost 4/6 from batch number one between Sep 2019-March 2019; they were born July 2019 and none had begun laying yet. We've now lost 6/9 from batch number two, born Feb 2020, beginning with one who died suddenly and unexpectedly in May, through today; none laying. Symptoms have been all over the board per my OP.

Poop is looking good from what we can see. All are panting in the heat, but like I said we're doing everything we can to keep them cool. (The exception is our 4 Penedesencas, who are hardly phased by this heat.) We only have 3 laying hens, and our Brahma just laid her first egg today--a WIN in the midst of ridiculous losses!! So now 4, I guess. The rest range from 3 months to 5.5 months.

The coops is all mesh because HOT summers are the norm here and winters are very mild (a link to photos is in my profile). They free range all day and our yard is fully shaded by tall cedar elms.

We de-wormed everyone with Safeguard last week after Peg died (aspergillosis), since we saw some worms in her poop a few hours before she passed; the second 3-day round of Safeguard will start middle of this next week. We didn't throw out the food after she passed...didn't really think of that but I suppose we should.

Necropsy & histopathology results are positive for Mareks. So at least now we know the culprit.

We're investigating to see if we can determine how this came into our flock. Also doing all we can to boost immune systems of our remaining birds so hopefully they can remain asymptomatic and stick around for a while.

I am very sorry that it was Mareks disease. Quite a few BYC members have dealt with Mareks in their flocks. It can remain in the environment for years because it spreads via feather dust and dander. All chickens should be considered carriers in the flock whether they show symptoms or not. Some people have written about breeding their birds who did not get sick, and having some good luck. I would read as much of the old threads about Mareks as I could to gain knowledge about how to proceed. Mareks vaccines in day old chicks take at least 2 weeks to take effect, and the chicks must be kept away from any possible exposure until immune. Some prefer not to vaccinate, but to get breeds that may have a natural resistance. Mareks is basically a disease of chickens, so other types of poultry are not affected.

I'm so sorry for your losses, @Castlewood :hugs

It also might be worth mentioning to the breeders/hatcheries you got these chicks from that you have had deaths in the following months from Mareks. I'd also possibly consider using another hatchery/breeder for the future.

Hugs! Lots of good people here on BYC to help you learn and help your flock.

Back
Top Bottom