Head injury or illness?

She perished quietly about 20 mins ago. She was pooping regularly, was alert and quiet as she was being handled, and not convulsing as much, so her death was unexpected.

They're currently fed an 18% chick start crumble from Tractor Supply, plus a little flax seed and red rolled wheat from the grocery store as treats. Do you recommend replacing their crumble right away?
As I suspected, cereal grains, such as wheat and especially rye and even corn can have a fungi attack the sclerotium of the grains cells, it looks like a dark mass that replaces the mycelium of the grains tissues, this fungi is called Ergot. The fungi responsible for this is Claviceps ssp.

In the sclerotium of the grains is where the ergot alkaloids are found and responsible for convulsions, sensory neurologic disorders and vasoconstriction of the extremities and endocrine system.
Usually doesn't cause death, if the grains are remove from their feed ration. In extreme cases, prolonged feeding of the contaminated grains can result in death.

Most feed manufacturers do not test their grain they purchase for Claviceps ssp.

Sorry to hear that you loss her!

I'm so sorry she didn't make it.
Thanks for your condolences!

As I suspected, cereal grains, such as wheat and especially rye and even corn can have a fungi attack the sclerotium of the grains cells, it looks like a dark mass that replaces the mycelium of the grains tissues, this fungi is called Ergot. The fungi responsible for this is Claviceps ssp.

In the sclerotium of the grains is where the ergot alkaloids are found and responsible for convulsions, sensory neurologic disorders and vasoconstriction of the extremities and endocrine system.
Usually doesn't cause death, if the grains are remove from their feed ration. In extreme cases, prolonged feeding of the contaminated grains can result in death.

Most feed manufacturers do not test their grain they purchase for Claviceps ssp.

Sorry to hear that you loss her!
Hate to throw out 15 lbs of feed but probably best to play it safe. Seems she would have exhibited symptoms of feeling ill earlier, but then again, they are quail, and they're probably quite sensitive to toxins. The remaining quail seem healthy.

I went to a different dealer and got a different brand, Farmer's Choice. Hopefully this brand and the Purina stuff they were eating before don't source from the same grain suppliers....

One reason I don't feed scratch grains anymore....I feed BOSS or white sunflower hearts as treats or as an overnight energy source when the weather is extremely cold.

One reason I don't feed scratch grains anymore....I feed BOSS or white sunflower hearts as treats or as an overnight energy source when the weather is extremely cold.
I'm curious, what do you feed them for their main ration, the BOSS or is that more of a treat?

I'm curious, what do you feed them for their main ration, the BOSS or is that more of a treat?
The sunflower seeds are treats. I feed a custom milled feed of 24% protein.
I give the sunflower seeds very sparingly...usually only in winter when we have cold nights or if it's cold for a long period of days, it helps keep their core temperature up during the cold nights.

She perished quietly about 20 mins ago. She was pooping regularly, was alert and quiet as she was being handled, and not convulsing as much, so her death was unexpected.

They're currently fed an 18% chick start crumble from Tractor Supply, plus a little flax seed and red rolled wheat from the grocery store as treats. Do you recommend replacing their crumble right away?
Awww I’m so sorry. My baby chick only a week old died yesterday. He was just kinda sleepythe whole time and then jus his head was on the floor and then hee would try and pick it up and cheep loudly. I’m sorry for ur loss and hope ur other ones ok.
happy holidays!

Awww I’m so sorry. My baby chick only a week old died yesterday. He was just kinda sleepythe whole time and then jus his head was on the floor and then hee would try and pick it up and cheep loudly. I’m sorry for ur loss and hope ur other ones ok.
happy holidays!
We try to do our best by the birds so it's a tough emotional experience when some individuals fail to thrive. Thank you for your condolences!

Well, my late quail is whole in the freezer. When I have some free time I'll do a necropsy and will get back to this thread if I find anything significant. Otherwise assume cause of death was unknown, with likely causes being either a head injury, ergot poisoning, a rival quail's petty curse, etc.

Back
Top Bottom