Head shaking and tilting

Stanlyb

Songster
Mar 24, 2020
Over got about a month and a half old silkie. She's shaking her head and leaning to the right. She's done it since I've gotten her. She can eat and drink fine. I've been giving tylosin for a possible head cold or ear problem. I've checked for ear mites but checking again just in case. Any advice is welcome. I tried to upload video but it wouldn't let me.

Can you post some photos of her or a video of her actions?

Have you checked her all over for lice/mites on the body?
Re-check the ears for infection (pus) and/or debris.

Tylosin powder or Tylan Injectable? Dose?
Do you notice any coughing/sneezing, mucous, lesions inside the beak, facial swelling, bubbles or pus in the eyes?
Are her feathers trimmed from around her eyes so she can see well?

Crop emptying overnight?

How long have you had her?

In addition to re-checking her over really well, give her vitamin support of 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg.

Do you notice any coughing/sneezing, mucous, lesions inside the beak, facial swelling, bubbles or pus in the eyes?

Crop emptying overnight?

In addition to re-checking her over really well, give her vitamin support of 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg.
I did trim around her eyes it looks like she could use it again. I'm going to do thoroughly check of her when I get off work at one. I'll update you thanks for the help.

I did trim around her eyes it looks like she could use it again. I'm going to do thoroughly check of her when I get off work at one. I'll update you thanks for the help.

Crop emptying overnight?

Here is a video that I uploaded to you tube.

give her vitamin support of 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg.
I would give her the vitamins listed above.
See that she's eating her chick starter well.
Unless she's got infection or mites in the ear, I would take a guess that the head movement is a neurological symptom. Hopefully vitamin therapy can help with that.

Unless she's got infection or mites in the ear, I would take a guess that the head movement is a neurological symptom. Hopefully vitamin therapy can help with that.
Thank you I'll be going after work to get some

Will she have to take these the rest of her life? I'm totally OK with that I just want to know is all.

Vitamin therapy should be given for a short period of time.
Some have to give for several weeks, but for me if a bird doesn't improve significantly in a week or two, then I consider culling.

Vitamin E is a fat soluble vitamin, so it's stored in the body. This means it can be overdone and not meant to be given at extra levels long term.

Vitamin therapy should be given for a short period of time.
Some have to give for several weeks, but for me if a bird doesn't improve significantly in a week or two, then I consider culling.

Vitamin E is a fat soluble vitamin, so it's stored in the body. This means it can be overdone and not meant to be given at extra levels long term.
OK so is there a dosage scale that I can look at

Back
Top Bottom