BIG MISTAKE - Chlorhexidine Spray in Ear (Accidental)

May 29, 2019
I'm panicking. I made the terrible error of choosing to use chlorhexidine spray for a small wound on my EE's ear lobe. I didn't realize there was an ototoxicity risk; and was careful nonetheless to avoid her eyes/nares. Today, however, she struggled and I sprayed a good bit right in her ear, I'm pretty sure. She spent the next ten minutes or so walking around a little off kilter, shaking her head, and scratching at her ear; though, during this time she was also eating and drinking. I know now that I should never use anything spraylike around her ear--especially chlorhexidine; and unfortunately, it's too late.

I left her because it was roosting time and went back in the house to research, thinking I may have gotten a good amount of liquid in her ear. Then, I learned that chlorhexidine is highly toxic to the inner ear and causes ototoxicity (never knew of this before) and is thus avoided in the area. In my case, it got sprayed right in there--like really good. I ran out to bring her in to observe and dry her ear area off. She was a little gurgly at first, like she had a little liquid in her throat or some feed, but it went away and she was bright, walking around the house normally, and happily ate some treats and mash. I put her back to roost with the others for the night.

What can I do to best support, observe, or treat her should I have caused an issue? What should I look out for? I feel terrible. She is my pride and joy--we've been through many ups and downs and I've seen her through so many near death experiences--I'd NEVER forgive myself if I caused a serious issue for her.

Please help. Any insight is welcome. Thank you so much.

I'd see how she's doing in the morning.

Likely she was just reacting to getting spray/wetness in the ear.

If she's bright, walking around and able to roost, I wouldn't worry too much.
I'm happy to report she seems okay this morning and is acting like her normal self--eating, drinking, walking around, being vocal, etc. I guess time will tell if there ends up being a longer-term problem like an ear infection or ototoxicity issue related to this.

Thank you for your calming comment!

Back
Top Bottom