White moss on ear lobe : infection or fungi ?

ManueB

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Sep 15, 2021
Daluis, 06 France
I would like some opinions on what this could be, and advice on whether and how to treat.

My hen Blanche has since yesterday this white stuff on her left ear lobe.
It is not hot, it is supple like loose skin, but it looks and feels slightly swollen. The ear itself is totally clean, and she has no respiratory issue. She had had for about a year a tiny white pimple on this ear lobe, but this is new.
IMG_20231216_095057.jpg

IMG_20231216_095100.jpg

Background : Blanche is a four years old ex-battery hen. A year ago she was attacked by a hawk and turned blind from one eye. Her health has been poor since that attack, she has periods where she’s very low, and periods when she gets better.
She was doing good for the last two weeks and has been not well for the last three days. Symptoms include diarrhea, eating less, resting more often and loosing weight. She is also molting now.
Like the rest of my flock she has access to layer feed, starter mash and fermented grains and peas. She usually eats a bit of everything. When she goes off the usual feed because of being unwell, she mostly will refuse any other food like scrambled egg or sardine, or just nibble but not really eat.

She is very stressed and since the attack and being visually impaired she has become frightened of everything, so I want to balance whether treatment is necessary for her health, with the stress it would cause her.

I am in France, so many treatment options are either unavailable or not OTC - triple antibiotics ointment doesn't exist and any imidazole antifungals require a prescription.
It's a two hours drive to get to my vet's clinic, and I feel it would be too hard on her, but the vet could eventually send me a prescription.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes. I noticed her ear lobe had become white two days ago. Her ear lobes are red.
This is a picture from a year ago when I first noticed she had a white pimple on her left ear lobe, which you can see zooming in, just underneath the ear.
1702758971677.png

Could you explain what makes you think this ? I tried searching a bit and it seems melanoma are rare in chickens, and the images I found did not look like it, but maybe I didn't search correctly.

For the record I searched again old posts using "white ear lobes" instead of ear infection as keywords.
I found four possible causes.
As you mention @nuthatched many keepers see a chicken change their lobes from red to white because of genetics and cross breeding. I can rule this out because only one ear has turned white.

Another possible cause mentioned here is ear infection, and contrary to what I thought the fact that the ear is totally clean does not rule it out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ossible-mareks-tumour-or-an-infection.877686/

An interesting case : that of a tick attached underneath the ear. Temperatures here in winter make it unlikely, I checked but didn't see anything.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bulge-below-earlobe.950184/

And favus, a fungal disease, is also a possibility :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/red-earlobe-turning-white.452308/

So I am most likely dealing with an ear infection, but maybe with Favus. I don't think I can treat either without a vet prescription.

My guess is favus is most likely as it isn’t a rare oddity.
Also guessing it will respond to topical antifungal cream.
I can’t remember if you can get any of those in the pharmacy in France either women’s health or athlete’s foot.

Econazole - available for vaginal thrush maybe?
View attachment 3707288
You should live again as a french pharmacist. Can you believe at the two drugstores I went to, they told me there was no OTC alternatives to miconazole and that all imidazoles required a prescription? And one of those was that time the elder lady whispered and turned red because she didn't want her other clients to hear that I could have vaginal candidosis 😂. Anyway I ordered fongileine. It will be faster than to wait tuesday to drive half an hour ask the nearest drugstore to order it. Thank you very much, now I hope it will arrive quickly and be efficient.

You should live again as a french pharmacist. Can you believe at the two drugstores I went to, they told me there was no OTC alternatives to miconazole and that all imidazoles required a prescription? And one of those was that time the elder lady whispered and turned red because she didn't want her other clients to hear that I could have vaginal candidosis 😂. Anyway I ordered fongileine. It will be faster than to wait tuesday to drive half an hour ask the nearest drugstore to order it. Thank you very much, now I hope it will arrive quickly and be efficient.
I remembered the saga of the lady being embarrassed as I was typing!
Many decades ago in another life I had an extensive, if not quite encyclopedic, knowledge of European pharmacy regulations. The French Pharmacist lobby is a formidable force and that is why so many medicines, that in other countries you can buy in grocery stores and gas stations, are only available 'behind the counter' in France.
This was in the very early days of on-line shopping (or e-commerce as it was called then) and I rather enjoy researching your questions because it gives me a glimpse of how much, and how little has changed since those days!

Could you explain what makes you think this ? I tried searching a bit and it seems melanoma are rare in chickens, and the images I found did not look like it, but maybe I didn't search correctly.

For the record I searched again old posts using "white ear lobes" instead of ear infection as keywords.
I found four possible causes.
As you mention @nuthatched many keepers see a chicken change their lobes from red to white because of genetics and cross breeding. I can rule this out because only one ear has turned white.
I have had several birds that have only one colored earlobe, even few that developed later in life.
I'm guessing melanoma, since it appears to have a grown from a smaller size, it's spreading and slightly raised. The fact that it's not hard or flaking off, sort of makes me think it's not an infection or a surface issue. But I don't know, it's hard to tell from pictures.

Back
Top Bottom