Hen’s Ear Lobe Very Swollen- Not Sensitive, Slightly Warm

Is that a red area above the ear in the first picture? I cannot see it in the other pictures. I wonder if she could have been stung by a tick? Those can cause swelling and bluish discoloring. The little spot on the ear could be a sting mark of a tick or a bee.

Thank you all so much for the advice and guidance! I love all my girls and the General very much so I was worried. Yes, I’m hoping it is just a bee sting as well. Based off the information I’ve been able to learn and gather from this site, plus the proximity of our hive to our coop, that seems the most probable reason. I will definitely be monitoring her and the rest of the flock, tho, just to be sure alls well. ☺️ God bless you all, seriously. I was pretty well stressed and anxious over this.

Looks like a bite or puncture to me.
I'd see if it starts to heal on its own.

1712632862373.jpeg

Okay, so, the swollen ear lobe as of yesterday seems to have gotten a bit less swollen as the top part of the sac isn’t as rounded and more wrinkled like BUT I felt the part that was still swollen and it felt more firm than it did the day before. Should I still just monitor over next few days for it continuing to go down, & if by tomorrow or the next day it’s getting worse and not better, do I then try some VetRX or some kind of antibiotic? I’ll try to get a current pic sent to me- unfortunately I’m at work all day today.

Okay, so, the swollen ear lobe as of yesterday seems to have gotten a bit less swollen as the top part of the sac isn’t as rounded and more wrinkled like BUT I felt the part that was still swollen and it felt more firm than it did the day before. Should I still just monitor over next few days for it continuing to go down, & if by tomorrow or the next day it’s getting worse and not better, do I then try some VetRX or some kind of antibiotic? I’ll try to get a current pic sent to me- unfortunately I’m at work all day today.
I would keep monitoring if she were my chicken. Insect stings can take a week or more to subside and sometimes look worse before they’re better - in humans at least. I imagine it’s similar for animals. VetRX probably won’t help, it’s more like Vicks vapor rub would be to us, but maybe some ointment like neosporin around the sting entry wouldn’t hurt. Make sure it isn’t the kind with pain relief in it, though.

ETA: I’ve seen where people give their chickens children’s Benadryl for stings, but I could not tell you the dose or if it’s a good idea in this case. Someone with a lot more knowledge than me will hopefully see your update and reply with more helpful advice.

Back
Top Bottom