Hen w/ discolored skin and ear lobe

SparkPlug81

Hatching
Mar 7, 2024
Sorry for the lengthy post.

Just over a month ago I noticed one of my older hens had grown what looked to be a beard at first glance. However, upon further inspection it turned out to be like a pouch of loose hanging skin on one side of her throat. It's kind of dark in color but also has a yellowish/green hue about it and slightly puffy. Also found that not only is that side of her head a bit swollen but the ear lobe on that same side had turned a bright lime green color as if infected too. I had to start my entire flock on antibiotics about the 2 days after due to receiving a few birds that were infected with an upper respiratory illness and that has slowly been making its wat throughout my whole yard causing some to be extremely sick. Did some research and picked up some Vet Rx. Then miraculously I finally found a vet that wrote a prescription for Tetracycline and begun administering it immediately to all. Also ordered an "All-In-One" powder consisting of Tylosine, Ronidazole, Levamisole, and Amprollium said to treat Coccidiosis, Worms, Canker, and Respiratory Issues. After having given the first medicine for 9 days, they all seemed to have gotten a lot better, but for my old hen until i woke to find one of my prized brood cocks on death's door whose symptoms were far worse than any prior. I decided the Tetracycline just wasn't cutting it and started the all in one powder. My brood cock only begun showing signs of improvement after almost a week and yesterday a young stag also has now become gravely ill. My hen is still sporting the greenish/yellow hue to that side of her head though her ear lobe is not as bright green as it was. Does anyone have any idea what that might be? TIA
IMG_20240307_005311601.jpg

Welcome To BYC

The greenish color looks like bruising.
She may have gotten a kick to the face that caused swelling and bruising.

I'd check the inside of her beak to see if there's any swelling or fluid under the tongue.

Interesting that it's taking this long for the bruising to disappear though, has she been off the nest and fighting with another hen?

Welcome To BYC

The greenish color looks like bruising.
She may have gotten a kick to the face that caused swelling and bruising.

I'd check the inside of her beak to see if there's any swelling or fluid under the tongue.

Interesting that it's taking this long for the bruising to disappear though, has she been off the nest and fighting with another hen?
Thank you, I've been coming to BYC for a few years reading numerous threads while researching various topics. I've always seemed to manage to find the information and/or answers I sought whether it be in a thread here or elsewhere online. However, this one has us stumped and I can't find anything even remotely similar to this one. I'm sure it's not bruising. It's hard to explain and the picture truly doesn't due it justice (best I could take at the time, I'll attempt to take a better one tomorrow). It was the last of January when I first noticed something wasn't right with her appearance. Her ear lobe was a very vivid neon like green color and her neck had a rather large droopy flap of skin loosely just hanging there. It had looked to be getting better, the color dulled yet that side of of her head remained puffy. Now even after being on antibiotics that "flap" of skin has swelled up a bit and turned greenish in color. I've been around chickens my whole life and in 42 years I've never seen anything quite like this before.

Thank you, I've been coming to BYC for a few years reading numerous threads while researching various topics. I've always seemed to manage to find the information and/or answers I sought whether it be in a thread here or elsewhere online. However, this one has us stumped and I can't find anything even remotely similar to this one. I'm sure it's not bruising. It's hard to explain and the picture truly doesn't due it justice (best I could take at the time, I'll attempt to take a better one tomorrow). It was the last of January when I first noticed something wasn't right with her appearance. Her ear lobe was a very vivid neon like green color and her neck had a rather large droopy flap of skin loosely just hanging there. It had looked to be getting better, the color dulled yet that side of of her head remained puffy. Now even after being on antibiotics that "flap" of skin has swelled up a bit and turned greenish in color. I've been around chickens my whole life and in 42 years I've never seen anything quite like this before.
Oh and she only just started sitting on her eggs 4 days ago. She's part of the group I let free range. She's not experienced any physical trauma or anything.

Oh and she only just started sitting on her eggs 4 days ago. She's part of the group I let free range. She's not experienced any physical trauma or anything.
Can you look inside her beak for any discoloration?
Also check to see if perhaps she has a tick embedded somewhere around the face. Ticks can cause some swelling and necrosis.

Edited to add, look in her ears too, just in case there's some infection or pus.

I'd consider giving her a round of antibiotics if you have anything on hand to see if that makes a difference.

I'm not sure what's going on with her. It's interesting.

Oh, I didn't mean a person kicked her, I meant another hen or a rooster. I have some Gamefowl and a good kick delivered to the head/face can cause swelling/bruising. Of course, they are usually battered and cut up as well. I try to avoid it, but sometimes it happens.

Last edited:
Also check to see if perhaps she has a tick embedded somewhere around the face. Ticks can cause some swelling and necrosis.

Edited to add, look in her ears too, just in case there's some infection or pus.

I'd consider giving her a round of antibiotics if you have anything on hand to see if that makes a difference.

Oh, I didn't mean a person kicked her, I meant another hen or a rooster. I have some Gamefowl and a good kick delivered to the head/face can cause swelling/bruising. Of course, they are usually battered and cut up as well. I try to avoid it, but sometimes it happens.
I gave her Tetracycline for 7 days, followed by an all in one wide spectrum antibiotic for 5 days, today being their last day. No pus or discoloration inside her beak. Now she did have a tick but that came about just a couple days ago. She's had this for well over a month now. I'm seriously stumped

I gave her Tetracycline for 7 days, followed by an all in one wide spectrum antibiotic for 5 days, today being their last day. No pus or discoloration inside her beak. Now she did have a tick but that came about just a couple days ago. She's had this for well over a month now. I'm seriously stumped
Did the tick seem to have been there for a good while?

I'd give her a dusting of Permethrin poultry dust to be sure there's no more ticks or other external parasites, especially if she's sitting. Broody hens tend to get mites or lice sometimes.

Did the antibiotics seem to help at all?

Back
Top Bottom