Hen injured ear lobe

FloweredHemlock

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2023
So I recently merged my younger hens with my older ones and it's been going as expected for the most part except for my hen Stella. Stella was bought separate from all of them and is a different breed but we had only gotten one. She's the slightest bit bigger then the other hens and has two slightly longer sickle feathers but she's definitely a female, lays eggs and all. But the adults are picking on her pretty strongly, especially my roo, compared to the others and I assumed it was because she was different. But now her earlobe is hurt and she won't stop scratching at it. I bought her a small cone from my stock shop and I've been trying to make it work. It kept rubbing the skin under her feathers so I gently wrapped her neck in medical wrap and its working but I'm wondering if there's another way to deal with this? She's separated and seems to be doing okay but I'm paranoid, I don't want to loose another hen because of my ignorance. I would attach pictures but it's night right now and she's already wrapped and I don't want to stress her out more.
If you have any advice on how to get my older birds to accept her to that would be very much appreciated.

Photos would be helpful.

Have you treated the wound? I'd clean the scratch/wound with saline or chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Generally you do not need to wrap a wound.

Photos would be helpful.

Have you treated the wound? I'd clean the scratch/wound with saline or chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Generally you do not need to wrap a wound.
I cleaned it and I have a spray I use with other bird wounds that works pretty well so I'm not to worried about that. The wrap isn't around her wound rather it's around her neck feathers so the cone doesn't rub her neck raw or anything, her feathers would get caught on the lip and it looked uncomfortable. Here's pictures of her hurt side and her good side.

Attachments

• 20240227_081619.jpg
    20240227_081619.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240227_081631_HDR.jpg
    20240227_081631_HDR.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240227_081658.jpg
    20240227_081658.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom