Head shaking is spreading to all my chickens

I was responding to your statement that you suspected gapeworms. The link I provided you is from an expert who has dealt with them. Thankfully I've never dealt with gapeworms. Knowing my soil would be contaminated with their eggs, and knowing there would be endless worming treatments trying to eliminate them, not to mention the suffering they'd bring to my birds...I'd cull my infected birds. I know that gapeworms are rare in chickens. This is why I asked you if there were respiratory symptoms which are a more likely cause than gapeworms. Respiratory diseases can cause mucus build up in the trachea causing similar symptoms as gapeworms. Birds gape trying to breathe due to mucus build up from the respiratory disease, they shake their heads to try and loosen mucus, and/or scratch their necks to loosen mucus. Gapeworms are located in the trachea and the birds will stretch their necks gasping and grunting trying to breathe. Birds shake their heads, scratch their necks to try and loosen the worms to no avail. Death from suffocation follows with gapeworm infection. Depending on the strain of whatever respiratory disease is involved, death can also occur.
There are other causes why birds would yawn and stretch their necks; simple yawning, adjusting crop or gizzard, impacted crop or gizzard, swallowing a screw or nail etc...
Head shaking and scratching besides respiratory disease or gapeworms; ear mites, mites or lice externally, stick tight fleas, molt, canker.
There are probably other things that can cause these symptoms I mentioned, but these are the most common things I can think of. Someone else can chime in if there are others if they want.
I recommend that you take fresh fecal samples to a vet to determine if your birds have worm oocysts in their feces. Or you can contact your local extension office and find out how to submit your sickest bird for necropsy and get to the bottom of wht's going through your flock. if it's a respiratory disease, I recommend that you cull sick birds...if you dont, it'll eventually spread through your whole flock.
One other thing, and if you dont know this; bringing in birds from different sources without quarantining them away from your flock for at least 6 weeks is asking for trouble. I suggest that you practice biosecurity

Dawg53, you believe that Ivamec isn't effective against gapeworm? From all the research I did, it was said to be effective and safe. I read about 200 statements from discussion boards and websites before I made the purchase. Sometimes all this chicken business is so confusing ie; give them scratch, don't give them scratch, put straw in the house, don't put straw in the house etc. I've tried to make the best possible informed choices for my 50 chickens that I can, cause they aren't just chickens they are pets that I love and want the best for them. Until this happened I'd never even heard of gapeworm, I just knew my babies were in trouble and I wanted to save them.
It is very hard to always know the "right" thing to do. There are so many different people here and so many experiences people have had. On top of that, one cannot diagnose on line. The only ones that can give you expert advice is an expert. Mine are pets too and if I look back over the last 7 years, I hate to think of the things I might have tried to have a bird recover, but hindsight is 20/20.

I try to take replies as very solid ideas that I should investigate. Most times it's trial and error. So far, you've heard worms, lice , ear mites, and respiratory ailments, all of which are contagious. Now comes the hard part of eliminating what it's not. You sound like you are trying to make informed choices and obviously you care for all your chickens.
smile.png

I would not do a necropsy until one dies on its own, if one even does. Give them a chance.
If they find your birds have something rare, contagious, and deadly, like avian flu, they will come in and kill all of your birds. Just a heads up.

I would not do a necropsy until one dies on its own, if one even does. Give them a chance.
If they find your birds have something rare, contagious, and deadly, like avian flu, they will come in and kill all of your birds. Just a heads up.

IF it WAS something rare and/or deadly, I would WANT them to cull my flock. OP has already stated it was contageous.

It sounds like you have done everything humanly possible-have you considered
taking the one who is the sickest to a vet who might be able to look at your
bird with a new pair of eyes? She should be fairly easy to handle and transport
in say a little cat or dog carrier. The reason I suggest a vet is last year I had a problem
with one of my hens who was injured. I did what you did but I had some doubts so I
took her into my vet who has a subspecialty with birds at his practice. He offered some
suggestions and said to continue what I was doing and she should be ok. Well she did
get better and is laying everyday. It is very, very stressful when hens are sick or acting
odd. Perhaps you can save this bird and ward off problems with the rest of your flock by
having a vet look at her. Perhaps she needs an intervention of a different kind? God bless
you for caring for your creature's- they give us so much and they are sweet little things too!!
If you feel like it let me know how things are going.
Sincerely,
Roberta

Poni, it might be cheaper and less stressful to just get a vet to draw blood and get stool. It could be viral. If one does die, it may be best to send the chicken for a necropsy for the sake of the rest of them. I have Casportpony's link at the bottom of my posts on how to send and where to send.

I, too, would not be thinking about culling unless all other avenues have been exhausted. But that's me, and not everyone thinks like me.
There are always too many unknowns, and I think with respiratory problems some are very hard to treat. I usually would put Tylan in the water or give Penicillin injections, but something in the water seems more feasible with 50 chickens. With those who are not drinking enough, Casportpony has very good instructions including pictures on how to tube.

We are all not experts or professionals, most of us give advice based on what they've experienced in the past.

Back
Top Bottom