head shaking- whats wrong?

I talked with one of the avian vets at MSU and he said that ivermectin hasn't been officially tested with birds but he considered it safe and it was ok to eat the eggs. He said he would eat one. Guess that is just his opinion though.

Thanks for all the advice. I am thinking mites or lice and will do the DE first, but the reason I haven't been doing it already is because I can't find anyplace that sells food grade DE. I also see a few of my other chickens have a little "dandruff" on their heads, maybe mites also,but they aren't shaking them. I am wondering if there is any chance it has to do with molting?

If anyone is still reading this I am wondering if i can introduce DE (again a source for food grade DE would be most helpful)and use the sevin powder at the same time?

U can use 7 dust and DE together. I use adams flea and tick spray and ivermectin. I know adams isn't tested for poultry either.

Your birds are too young to be molting. If they do, in fact, have lice or mites, and that's what is causing the head shaking, try the Sevin dust first.

If you DO choose to treat with the Ivermectin, know that it's great stuff, and works really, really well...obviously it's your choice whether to eat eggs or not, but I strongly urge you not to - for at least 2 weeks. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY.

i saw you say use ivermectin but i don't under stand..i thought you were to use wazine first then the ivermectin . or is it because it is on the outside of the bird? i would like to start worming my chooks now i am confused.. if ivermecting drops work inside and out then why the wazine?

d dawn my hens and roos aren't 6 mos old yet .. they are 4 mos. are they too young to worm? or should i go to the ivermectin and pass on the wazine? they are laying eggs. isn't a worm an internal parasite? sorry new to this

Last edited:
The VERY best way to know what to do is to take a poo sample in to have a faecal float done. The vet will be able to tell you if your brids have a worm load or not - everyone has differing opinions, but I do not worm unless my vet says the load is enough to warrant worming.

If you are just concened with external parasites such as mites, then the Sevin poweder is sufficient.

With yours being so you, I seriously doubt they have a worm load internally.

You said they are 4 months, and that they are already laying? That's very young to be laying...just checking.

Back
Top Bottom