1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

head swaying roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bochelle6563, Sep 18, 2012.

1. bochelle6563

bochelle6563 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    I have a 6 month old super sweet Dominique rooster. He has just now become the main man and is learning all of the rooster duties. Just recently he has started swaying his head every once in a while. It is like a quick left to right motion when one of the hens is doing something he doesn't like or when he is nervous. Is this normal? I read on the forum that this could be a problem with the crop or possible worms. The chickens are free range and he has opportunities to eat whatever he can find on the land and in the garden. I felt his crop and it seems normal. He is eating fine, drinking and his poop is solid. This is my first flock, am I making more out of this than needs to be? Is it just a rooster thing like the foot stomping or do I have a bigger problem?
    Help! I can't find any info on rooster behavior.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    It sound like its a personal tell, like a person who might tap their thigh when they see something they aren't real happy with. Nothing wrong with that. If he is eating and acting normal he's fine.

3. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Roosters are quirky beasts. You'll find they have more personality than the hens- in good ways and bad! This sounds like it's just a way for your roo to express himself. Watch his weight levels, but don't stress out over it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by