Head tick/twitch in hen?

Ponyfeather

Songster
5 Years
Feb 26, 2014
California
I have a hen that has a head tick/twitch, at first we thought it was related to her getting sick/lack of food in her system because of medication because it resolved with feeding her mashed up hardboiled egg. She was very fussy about food while in she was on antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory for about three weeks for Ascites/Fluid Filled Body which has since not come back from treatment so far. We stopped feeding egg and within 24 hours her head tick/twitch was back!

So we boiled her an egg and feed it to her... no head tick/twitch.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? I am guessing a nutritional issue?

I have a hen that has a head tick/twitch, at first we thought it was related to her getting sick/lack of food in her system because of medication because it resolved with feeding her mashed up hardboiled egg. She was very fussy about food while in she was on antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory for about three weeks for Ascites/Fluid Filled Body which has since not come back from treatment so far. We stopped feeding egg and within 24 hours her head tick/twitch was back!

So we boiled her an egg and feed it to her... no head tick/twitch.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? I am guessing a nutritional issue?
It is interesting that the twitching stopped if she is fed egg. If that's the case, then I would treat her as being symptomatic for wry neck. 400IU daily of Vitamin E, 1/2tablet of human B-Complex (no iron) and egg for Selenium. See if that makes a difference.

It won't hurt to look inside her ears for any ear mites or blockage.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom