Head trauma - wry neck?

schnauzerpup

Chirping
7 Years
May 5, 2016
Our 14 week chick had accidental head trauma Tuesday (stick fell on head). Immediately had issues with balance, and was twisting head to the right constantly. It tried to eat initially, but has worsened.

Now it sleep all day, rarely moves except with jerky legs/wings. It does move its tongue during feeding (electrolyte water, mashed watered food). Very slow breathing. It did poop finally today (very watery).

I have found little about wry neck from head injury - Any suggestions or recovery stories? Is vitamin e necessary since it isn’t a standard deficiency-caused wry neck?

Our 14 week chick had accidental head trauma Tuesday (stick fell on head). Immediately had issues with balance, and was twisting head to the right constantly. It tried to eat initially, but has worsened.

Now it sleep all day, rarely moves except with jerky legs/wings. It does move its tongue during feeding (electrolyte water, mashed watered food). Very slow breathing. It did poop finally today (very watery).

I have found little about wry neck from head injury - Any suggestions or recovery stories? Is vitamin e necessary since it isn’t a standard deficiency-caused wry neck?
How is she doing?

Vitamin E and B1 are often given to help support neurological trauma/symptoms. Wry Neck is term used to describe a neurological symptom - a few common causes of the symptom are Marek's, Trauma, Vitamin Deficiency.

I would give her 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily as supportive care. Mashed up scrambled egg would be good, it helps with the uptake of E (plus it's tasty and good for chickens). Keep her hydrated. If she's struggling to eat, you may need to help support her neck and offer wet feed. Tubing or syringing food/water is another option.

How is she doing?

Vitamin E and B1 are often given to help support neurological trauma/symptoms. Wry Neck is term used to describe a neurological symptom - a few common causes of the symptom are Marek's, Trauma, Vitamin Deficiency.

I would give her 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily as supportive care. Mashed up scrambled egg would be good, it helps with the uptake of E (plus it's tasty and good for chickens). Keep her hydrated. If she's struggling to eat, you may need to help support her neck and offer wet feed. Tubing or syringing food/water is another option.
Thank you! I really appreciate your reply and suggestions I’ve been giving the Sav-a-Chick electrolyte powder which included e and b but I’ll check the doses - it’s probably it’s not a lot.

She is still not really moving. Still pooping, and lapping the liquid and watery mash I spoon into her mouth. So she’s not doing great, but still alive!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

Update! Chicken is alive and still requiring feeding but has shown improvements. Standing on its own, chowing down mash from a cup we hold for her, and drinking the same manner. 🙌🙏 Have been giving supplements. Planning on continuing as long as improvements are shown.

question 1: any ideas why she might be scratching her head/neck, particularly after eating? That side she does keep her eye closed (I think that was the side she got hurt on).

Question 2: how long does wry neck take to resolve?

Good advice from Wyorp Rock. It may take time, and continuing the supportive feeding and treatment, but it is good that the chick is showing improvement. Wry neck and torticolis is just a neurological symptom. There is no way to know how long or if the symptoms go away. But having seen some improvement already, that is a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom