Head was stuck in box, now her neck is extended/SHE'S BETTER NOW!

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
Clementine, a beautiful orange & white young Ameracauna hen, got her head stuck in an opening of her nest box (a plastic soda bottle tray) for who knows how long before I found her like that yesterday. She was crouched in the box with her neck stretched and her feathery head stuck, looking pathetic. I don't know how she got it in that space, because it was really difficult trying to push her head back through, I finally had to crack the plastic crate where it was holding her head.

Today Clementine was walking around with her neck bent at the shoulders and her head hanging down past horizontal, as if she were looking for something small she'd dropped on the ground. She did go out with the others for afternoon free-range recess, and returned to the coop at nightfall, climbing up into her second-story perch. But her crop wasn't very full, and her neck is still stuck out & her head bent down.

I have no idea what, if anything, can be done to help her. If I knew a good chicken chiropractor I'd take her there, she looks like she could use an adjustment. The only adjusting I know how to do with chicken necks preceeds processing. I feel so bad for Clementine, so pretty & young, just at point of lay with her whole career ahead of her, I pray that she will get better.

Please let me know if you have ANY advice for me to help her, or any encouraging stories of other birds you've known who have recovered from similar injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw, poor girl! I had a hen do that, but she hung herself! Fortunately I was right there but it was pretty scary!

I'm guessing that she's just sore. If it was broken I don't think she'd be alive or able to walk. Give her Motrin 200mg (one whole pill) twice daily to help with pain and swelling.

Awww...poor girl. I have no idea what to do, I just hope she starts feeling better soon. A chiropracter would be perfect
wink.png

I'm not sure about Motrin for a chicken...it is deadly for dogs. I thought only real Aspirin was safe for animals, not Motrin.

If she is just sore, why not giving her a nice relaxing warm bath like show chickens would get before a show?

I also found a post online about using Ibuprophen<Motrin,Advil> in chickens for coccidiosis.

Here's that link for the study they did:

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1637/7059?journalCode=avdi

I learn something new on here every single day! Thanks MoodyChicken!!!! Never would've thought to use it because I also thought it to be bad for them like it is for dogs and cats. I sure do appreciate the info!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom